Drop off your residential Christmas cardboard waste for free!
Jingle all the way to the waste recovery centre and recycle your cardboard boxes and gift-wrapping paper for FREE at our drop-off event!
Cardinia Shire Council is hosting a drop-off event to assist Cardinia Shire residents to recycle their Christmas cardboard boxes and gift-wrapping paper for free at the Pakenham waste and resource recovery centre.
When: 9am - 4pm, Wednesday 28 to Friday 30 December 2022
Where: Future Recycling Transfer Station 30-32 Exchange Drive, Pakenham
Accepted items (try to remove as much sticky tape as possible!)
- Flattened and dry cardboard
- Gift wrapping paper
Items not accepted
- Soft plastic packaging
- Wet cardboard
- Plastic gift wrapping
- Cellophane, ribbons, bows and other Christmas decorations
Please note this drop-event is for Cardinia Shire residents only and photo ID with a Cardinia Shire address will be required.
Attend as many times as you like, unlimited residential cardboard and wrapping paper waste will be accepted, no commercial vehicles.
Kerbside bin collections over the holiday season
Residents are reminded that bin collections still occur on public holidays over the holiday season, however they will be slightly earlier on Christmas Day, allowing drivers to get home and see their families sooner. Bins should be put out the night before the collection date to ensure they are collected.
Other ways to reduce post-Christmas waste
Every December in Australia, more than 5 million tonnes of festive leftovers, wasted food and packaging is estimated to end up in landfill once the festivities have come to an end.
Here are a few simple steps to reduce your various post-Christmas waste easily and safely at home:
- Choose reusable plates and cutlery if you can – plastic plates and cutlery cannot be recycled and must be disposed of in your kerbside rubbish bin.
- Plan your meals and write out shopping lists to avoid unnecessary waste – you may consider opting into Council’s residential food and garden waste fortnightly collection service for a fee.
- Drop off your old/broken electronic waste (anything with a battery, cord, or plug) at your local transfer station – e-waste cannot be put in kerbside bins.
- Hold onto and reuse cardboard boxes, gift bags and wrapping paper for next year, flatten and de-sticky tape and place in your recycling bin (yellow lid), or if you have too many larger boxes visit Cleanaway Lysterfield for free drop-offs.
- Reuse tinsel for crafts or donate it to a cause that needs more decorations – tinsel is a type of plastic that cannot be recycled in your kerbside recycling bin.
- If you have a real Christmas tree to dispose of, try reusing it to make coasters or ornaments for next year, mulch it for the garden, cut it up and put it in your food and garden waste bin, put it out with your next bookable hard waste collection for composting, or check with your nearby Christmas Tree Farm who may take it back for mulching.
- If you have a reusable (plastic) Christmas tree that you no longer want, consider donating it to a school, kindergarten, or community group – if it’s at the end of its lifespan, break it down to upcycle in craft projects or dispose of it in your kerbside rubbish bin or booked hard waste pile.
- About Council’s upcoming Christmas Cardboard Drop-Off event, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/dropoff
- More ways to dispose of and recycle different types of waste, see Council’s A-Z Waste Guide online at www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/atozwasteguide
- Household waste enquiries visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/waste or call Council’s Waste Management team on 1300 787 624