Aged care and support services

For all information on Ageing Well, visit our Ageing Well page

This page has information about aged care services available to Cardinia Shire residents, and how to get started.

Please note: Cardinia Shire Council does not provide any direct aged care service to residents.

My Aged Care

For people aged 65 years and over (or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders): My Aged Care is your starting point to access government-funded aged care services. This includes whether you have low or higher needs.

To get started with My Aged Care

and ask to arrange an assessment.

Ask for an interpreting service if you need one.

What to expect

The first step will be to find out if you are eligible for subsidised aged care. There is a simple online form to assess your eligibility through the “My Aged Care” website. It will take you through each step to see if you qualify for a first assessment.

Open the My Aged Care Assessment Eligibility Checker

There are different levels of support available with My Aged Care, which will depend on your needs.

Help provided by My Aged Care

Help at home

Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)

  • Access to entry level support services to live independently and safely at home.
  • People aged 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people), or
  • 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) who are on a low income and homeless, or at risk of being homeless.

Home Care Packages (HCP) program

  • For more complex care needs for people living at home.
  • Depending on your care needs, an assessment (organised through My Aged Care) will determine what program is suitable for you.

Short-term help

There are three types of short-term care.

  • Short-term restorative care - designed to help reverse or slow the difficulties with everyday tasks.
  • Transition care - helps when recovering after a hospital stay.
  • Respite care - supports with giving a break for a short period of time.

More info: Short-term care | My Aged Care

Care in an aged care home

  • Also known as a nursing home or residential aged care facility for older people who can no longer live at home and need ongoing help with everyday tasks or health care.

More info: Aged care homes | My Aged Care

My Aged Care Regional Assessment Service - Cardinia

  • For local advice and referrals for all home care support & packages for seniors. Contact Mecwacare

Phone: 8573 4960

Care finders support vulnerable older people who would not be able to arrange aged care services without intensive support and do not have a family member or friends who can help. This service is provided at no cost as they are fully funded by the Australian Government.

We are hosting two free sessions this March on Care finder.

Care finder sessions event page

Call one of the local providers for Cardinia below and ask to speak to someone in their Care Finder team.


Monash Health

Care Connect

Get an interpreter to help

If you need an interpreter for any of these services, please call 131 450

Full list of Care Finder organisations

A full list of care finder organisations can be found by visiting the My Aged Care website.

The program provides basic support and maintenance services to help people with disabilities remain living at home as independently as possible.

To be eligible, you must be:

  • Under 65 years old and have a disability or care for someone with a disability, or
  • Aboriginal and under 50 years old and have a disability or care for someone with a disability and
  • Not eligible for NDIS.

Services available

  • In-home services such as personal care, domestic assistance, and property maintenance.
  • Community services include transport, activity groups, food services and respite. 

More info:

To enquire / apply: Contact Mecwacare South East Region Service on 5941 5454. Referrals will be sent to the intake team for assessment.

Visit the Vic Health website for more info

View more Aged Care support services at our Cardinia Support website

Mecwacare - Pakenham Office

Offering services for those not eligible for My Aged Care services including:

  • domestic support
  • community transport
  • in-home support
  • community programs
  • disability support. 

For more info: Call 8573 4980, email or visit the Mecwacare website. 

Aged Care Specialist Officers

Aged Care Specialist Officers are part of My Aged Care face-to-face and via video chat services. They can help with your aged care matters.

If you need support to make decisions about aged care for yourself or someone you care for, Aged Care Specialist Officers can help. They can:

  • provide in-depth information on different types of aged care services
  • check if you’re eligible for government-funded services
  • refer you for an aged care assessment
  • help you appoint a representative for My Aged Care
  • provide financial information about aged care services
  • connect you to local support services.

Appointments are free and available in person in many Services Australia service centres, or through video chat. Video chat appointments are a great option if you can’t get an in-person appointment near you.

To book an appointment call Services Australia’s Aged Care line on 1800 227 475 or visit a service centre.

Location of Services Australia service centre in Cardinia

Pakenham Service Centre
31 Treloar Lane
Pakenham VIC 3810


You can find more information about Aged Care Specialist Officers on the Services Australia website.

To apply for an aged care assessment or find out more about accessing aged care services:

Southern Migrant & Refugee Centre 

Southern Migrant & Refugee Centre provides: 

  • multicultural planned activity groups for seniors
  • aged access and support workers
  • friendly home visiting services  

Saturday Centre-Based Respite Program provides weekly, out-of-home respite support to both a carer and the person for whom they care. Program is based in Noble Park between 9.00 am and 3.00 pm. Transport can be arranged. The program is funded by the Federal Government through the Department of Health and can be covered through a Home Care Package.

To be eligible:

  • aged 65 or over
  • live in Cardinia Shire, City of Greater Dandenong, City of Casey or the City of Kingston.

More info: call 9767 1900 or visit the Southern Migrant & Refugee Centre website


Access and support for seniors who require help with home care packages and financial disadvantage.

More info: Call 9769 0202 or visit the Wintringham website

Volunteers from the community are available to visit people in residential aged care and living in their home. The scheme provides friendship and companionship to support isolated and lonely people who are receiving Australian Government-funded aged care services in an aged care home or through a Home Care Package (HCP).

Volunteers visit at least 20 times per year. They can be:

  • one-on-one or group visits to residential aged care homes
  • one-on-one visits to people receiving Home Care Packages.

Older people can refer themselves. The scheme also accepts referrals from:

  • aged care service providers
  • family members
  • friends.

Referral form to help match a care recipient to a suitable volunteer visitor

Aged Care Volunteer Visitors Scheme (ACVVS) – Care recipient referral form | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care

Volunteer social support for older LGBTIQ+ people 

Rainbow Connection specialises in providing regular volunteer social support for older LGBTIQ+ people who live in aged care, or receive aged care supports at home. 

View Rainbow Connection info on Cardinia Support