Deep Creek Reserve wins Premier’s Sustainability Award
Cardinia Shire’s Deep Creek Reserve has won the Premier’s Sustainability Award 2021 in the category of Industry Leader - Sustainable Places.
Deep Creek Reserve is our premier environment, education and recreation destination. The 48-hectare reserve provides visitors with an immersive and interactive environmental learning experience and features:
- A community and education centre that houses the Deep Creek Golf Club and Cardinia Environment Coalition
- Café with a waste reduction focus
- Golf course and driving range
- Wholesale and retail indigenous plant nursery
- All abilities nature-based playground with changing places toilet
- Outdoor teaching space and sensory garden
- Indigenous plant display garden
- Indigenous tree arboretum
- Bush kinder space
- Compost corner
- Demonstration wetland with an interpretive boardwalk (due to be completed soon)
Thanks to a partnership between Council, the CEC, Ecolinc and PrimeSci, the reserve also features the first specialist STEM-based centre in the east of Victoria that gives thousands of school students the opportunity to participate in environmental education excursions.The development of the reserve has been a large-scale collaborative effort between Council, various Victorian Government departments, and organisations including the Deep Creek Golf Club, Cardinia Environment Coalition and the Andrews Foundation and the Cardinia Shire community.
Deep Creek Reserve is now a place of environmental significance and offers people of all ages and abilities many ways to experience, connect and protect.
These awards provide a unique platform to showcase, celebrate and recognise innovative Victorian businesses, government, institutions, communities, and individuals delivering practical, cutting-edge and impactful projects and initiatives.
For more information about Deep Creek Reserve, head to www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/deepcreek