Road safety reminder as school returns
With Prep, Years 1 and 2 students returning to school part time this week, it’s a timely reminder to drivers to watch out for our school crossing supervisors and slow down around schools.
“We may all be a bit out of practice when it comes to the school run so please slow down on our roads and pay extra attention around schools,” says Cardinia Shire Mayor, Cr Brett Owen.
“The beginning and end of the school day are hectic times for pedestrians and vehicles outside the school so please take extra care in 40km/h school zones,” said Cr Owen.
Top tips for the return of the school run:
- Park safely and legally, even if it means walking further to the school gate.
- Slow down to 40km/h in the school zone and stay aware of crossings.
- Always park and turn legally around the school avoiding dangerous U-turns and three-point turns.
- Observe the directions of the school crossing supervisor and give them a friendly wave.
- Model safe and considerate behaviour on and around roads – your child will learn from you.
- Always give way to pedestrians particularly when entering and leaving driveways.
- Use the drop off and pick up area suggested by your school. This will help keep all children as safe as possible during the busiest times of the school day.
If possible, ditch the car altogether and walk to school says the Mayor.
“When you can, walking to and from school is a great way to spend time with your children and encourage safe and healthy behaviours. Take the time to model road safe behaviour and then your kids can learn and practice with you. This will help them to be safer pedestrians when they are old enough to travel alone.”
Remind your child to STOP! LOOK! LISTEN! THINK! every time they cross the road and keep checking until safely across.
- STOP! one step back from the kerb
- LOOK! continuously both ways
- LISTEN! for the sounds of approaching traffic
- THINK! whether it is safe to cross and keep checking until safely across
For more information about road safety in Cardinia Shire, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/roadsafety