Join the biodiversity blitz this September!
Celebrate Biodiversity Month and support the natural environment by taking part in the 2021 Biodiversity Blitz!
Biodiversity Month is held in September each year and aims to promote the importance of protecting, conserving and improving biodiversity both within Australia and across the world.
This year, Cardinia Shire Council is celebrating Biodiversity Month by joining the Cities of Greater Dandenong, Casey, Monash, Kingston, Knox, Frankston, and the shires of Mornington Peninsula, and Yarra Ranges in a Biodiversity Blitz competition.
The competition encourages residents to record local wildlife species throughout September using iNaturalist – a free app that helps you identify the plants and animals around you. The municipality with the most records at the end of the month will be declared this year’s Biodiversity Blitz champion!
Residents who are unfamiliar with the smartphone application iNaturalist can sign up to attend an online training webinar on Thursday 2 September from 7pm. The event will be hosted by iNaturalist enthusiast Luis Mata from the Entomological Society of Victoria who will present the basics of iNaturalist and answer any questions residents may have. Registrations are essential at https://bit.ly/37LPQwe
Cardinia Shire Mayor Councillor Brett Owen encouraged all residents to sign up and take part and represent Cardinia Shire in this year’s blitz.
“By taking part in this year’s competition you'll not only create research quality data for scientists working to better understand and protect nature, but you’ll also show the world the amazing biodiversity, Cardinia Shire has to offer,” Cr Owen said.
How to become a member of Cardinia Shire’s Biodiversity Blitz team:
- Download the free iNaturalist App
- Join the ‘Cardinia Shire’ project online at: bit.ly/2021bioblitz
- Start recording your observations from September 1!
When participating in the 2021 Biodiversity Blitz, please act in line with the current COVID-19 restrictions: www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au
- For more information about iNaturalist, visit www.inaturalist.org
- For more information about this year’s Biodiversity Blitz competition, visit bit.ly/2021bioblitz
- For more information about Council’s environmental workshops, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/envionmentworkshops or call the Environment and Heritage team on 1300 787 624.