Cardinia Shire Council’s new Disability Action Plan
Cardinia Shire Council is currently seeking community feedback for the new Disability Action Plan.
The new Disability Action Plan will set out what Council will do to make our workplace, services, programs and community more accessible to people with disability.
Cardinia Shire Council Mayor Councillor Brett Owen is encouraging the community to take part in the survey to enable the Council to create a strong and considered disability action plan.
“To create a strong disability action plan, we need people who live, work, study and visit Cardinia Shire to tell us what Council can do to support our people with disability creating an accessible and inclusive community.”
The Disability Action Plan will be based on four key principles in the Victorian Disability Act 2006:
- reducing barriers to people with a disability in accessing goods, services, and facilities
- reducing barriers to people with a disability in obtaining and maintaining employment
- promoting inclusion and participation of people with a disability in the community
- achieving tangible changes in attitudes and practices which discriminate against people with a disability
The community survey will be open online from Monday 26 April to Monday 7 June 2021.
Community members are also encouraged to call in and visit one of Council’s Social Inclusion Facilitators at the below pop-up events:
- 11 Main Street, Bunyip (Cnr Main and High Street) – 27 April from 10am – 1pm
- Pakenham Library/PB Ronald Reserve – 28 April from 10am - 1pm
- Deep Creek Reserve Playground – 8 May from 9.30am - 12pm
- Next to Australia Post on Kilvington Avenue in Emerald - 12 May from 10am - 1pm
- Woolworths supermarket, Station Street in Koo Wee Rup – 3 May from 10am - 1pm
A free online community workshop will run on Tuesday 11 May from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.
An online workshop for disability sector service providers, advocates and organisations will take place on Tuesday 25 May from 9.30am to 11am.
Participants must register prior to either workshop. To register, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/haveyoursay
For more information about Cardinia Shire Council’s Disability Action Plan 2021 to 2026, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/accessandinclusion