Council offers financial relief for ratepayers, community organisations and businesses
Cardinia Shire Council has released the next phase of its package to support Cardinia Shire community members and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Phase 4 of Council’s $1.6 million Community and Business Support Package features specific measures to reduce financial pressures on ratepayers, community groups, sporting clubs and businesses, including:
Support for ratepayers
- A further extension to the interest-free period for unpaid rates payments until 31 March 2021.
- Continuation of hardship provisions and payment plans for 20-21 rates.
- Continuation of rebate for health care card holders and/or people receiving JobSeeker payments.
Support for sporting clubs and reserves
- Waiver of tenancy fees for six months on all Council-owned and managed sporting facilities.
- Financial support for sporting club and recreation reserve committees of management having trouble paying utility bills, plus a temporary freeze on all debt repayments.
Support for community groups
- A support payment to all neighbourhood houses, senior citizen’s centres, U3As, and to Emerald Museum.
- Emergency rent waivers for eligible tenants of Council-owned buildings.
- Financial support for community halls.
- Hire fee waivers for community and not-for-profit users of Council’s integrated child and family centres.
Support for businesses
- A full refund of all 2020 Food Act and Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration fees.
- A full refund of 2020-21 street trading permit fees.
Cardinia Shire Mayor Cr Jeff Springfield said Council hoped the measures would provide welcome relief to ratepayers, community groups and businesses struggling with the significant impacts of the pandemic.