Council calls on government to fund Thompsons Road
Cardinia Shire Council in partnership with the City of Casey is calling on the Australian Government to fund an upgrade and extension to Thompsons Road.
It would benefit thousands of residents and businesses across the Casey Cardinia region.
Both councils are advocating to the government to fund the:
- upgrade of the Thompsons Road / Western Port Highway intersection to a grade separated interchange
- duplication of Thompsons Road from Dandenong–Frankston Road to Berwick–Cranbourne Road
- extension and duplication of Thompsons Road from Berwick–Cranbourne Road to Cardinia Road, Officer South initially, with the future extension to Healesville–Koo Wee Rup Road.
Mayor Cr Jodie Owen said the road’s extension into Cardinia Shire would deliver unprecedented benefits to residents and businesses.
“An extension would provide a major new high capacity east-west freight route and deliver a much-needed alternative to the heavily congested Monash Freeway. In addition, the extension of Thompsons Road will open up considerable employment land in the Casey Cardinia growth corridor.
“As our population grows, more and more residents will be commuting to work by car which will exacerbate the level of congestion currently experienced on our road network. You can already see that there is a lot of pressure on existing roads.
“We have been talking to both sides of government about this project. No matter which party is in government, it is important for them to realise that we need funds for Thompsons Road to meet the immediate and ongoing needs of our residents and businesses,” Cr Owen said.
Council has also joined a national campaign called ‘Fund Our Future’ to demand a change in the way the Australian Government invests in fast-growing outer areas like Cardinia Shire. The campaign advocates for a national dedicated infrastructure fund to support ‘shovel ready’ projects like the Thompsons Road extension.
“I encourage residents and businesses to join the ‘Fund Our Future’ campaign and have their say by emailing the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition,” added Cr Owen.
“We want as many people as possible to show their support for the campaign and the Thompsons Road project.”
Visit the Fund Our Future website to sign the petition by selecting ‘Cardinia Shire Council’ from the drop down box. More information is also available on Facebook (FundourFutureAU) and Twitter @FundourFutureAU
- Five million Australians live in fast-growing outer suburbs around the country. In 15 years, the population in these areas will have increased by half again to 7.5 million people.
- Cardinia Shire is one of Australia’s fastest growing municipalities with five families moving in per day.
- By 2036, an estimated 303,000 Casey Cardinia residents will be in work.
- Thompsons Road corridor can provide over 100,000 local jobs within the region.
- $470m is required from the Victorian and Australian governments to duplicate and extend Thompsons Road.