Kindergarten service delivery in Cardinia Shire
Kindergarten in Cardinia Shire is delivered by the following partners working together:
- The state government (the Victorian Government's Department of Education and Training - DET)
- Local government (Cardinia Shire Council)
- Early Years Managers (bestchance, ECMS and One Tree Community services)
- Committees of management (Beaconsfield Kindergarten, Cockatoo Kindergarten, Gembrook Preschool)
- Parents and families
While Council doesn’t directly run early years education services, we’re committed to ensuring the services are the best they can possibly be, now and into the future.
- As the central planner for kindergarten services in the shire, we provide the buildings and manage kindergarten registrations centrally to ensure all children who require a place in our community kindergartens are able to access one.
- Council engages Early Years Managers to deliver kindergarten on our behalf.
- When the licence agreement between the Early Years Manager and Council is due to expire, Council will undertake a request for service, fulfilling the Victorian Government statutory requirement to select an early years provider in a fair, competitive and robust manner in the open market.
- This process ensures that the very best providers in Australia have an opportunity to express their interest in delivering high-quality services for families in Cardinia Shire.
What is an Early Years Provider?
- Early Years Providers are the licensed, approved providers of kindergartens. They deliver high-quality programs that directly benefit children. They are also responsible for the operational management of the kindergarten service and staff.
- In Cardinia Shire, there are 2 types of Early Years Providers – Early Years Managers and Committees of Management.
- Early Years Providers work closely with Cardinia Shire Council, parents and families, and Parent Advisory Groups (PAGs) to ensure Cardinia Shire children have access to high-quality early years programs, giving them the best possible start in life.
Cardinia Shire Council is the central planner for kindergarten services in the shire, ensuring all children who require a place in kindergarten can access one.
We support local children and families by:
- building strong partnerships through professional networks and supporting Early Years Managers and Committees of Management
- planning for growth and ensuring we have enough kindergarten places to support demand, and building new centres where required
- administering the process for kindergarten registrations for all sessional kindergartens
- engaging Early Years Providers to deliver kindergarten.
How we engage Early Years Managers to deliver Council’s community kindergartens
- We conduct a Request for Early Years Managers process to operate and manage kindergarten services and other associated services at Council-owned facilities.
- Undertaking this process ensures we meet our statutory requirement to ensure early years providers are selected in a fair and competitive manner.
- The process also ensures that the very best providers in Australia have an opportunity to express their interest in delivering high-quality services for families in Cardinia Shire.