2021 storms – information for residents and businesses

This page has information on support services and upcoming events for those impacted by the 2021 storms.

If you have any recovery-related questions, our Recovery Officer is available by phone or email from Monday to Friday during business hours.
Ph: 1300 787 624
Email: recovery@cardinia.vic.gov.au

If your home was significantly damaged and requires rebuilding you’ll need a planning permit and a building permit

Planning permits relating to storm damage will be prioritised and planning fees associated with storm-affected rebuilds may be waived.

Properties with environmental or vegetation overlays may require additional information and considerations in the planning application process. Getting the right advice will ensure your planned build is appropriately constructed to reduce risk of damage, such as in bushfire-prone areas.

Repairing a small part of your dwelling or shed ‘like for like’

You won’t need a planning permit, but you might still need a building permit - please contact a private building surveyor for advice (Council does not issue building permits)

To understand your responsibility and that of your neighbours in regards to rebuilding and repairing boundary fences, visit the Victorian Government’s Justice and Community Safety website

If you need to obtain your neighbour’s details for fencing matters visit our property ownership details webpage  

If your fence shares a boundary with Council land, we may pay half the cost of fence replacement

More info: Email mail@cardinia.vic.gov.au – please include your name, property address and details of damage.

Call 1800 560 760

  • The Storm and Flood Recovery Hotline is a single state-wide number that Victorians impacted by the June 2021 storms and floods can call for help or assistance.
  • Operators can assist you with registering for Clean-Up of structures on private property or accessing your own Recovery Support Worker, mental health and wellbeing support, financial counselling and information on available payments.
  • The Recovery Hotline is open from 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) and 9am to 1pm on weekends.

The Storm and Flood Financial Counselling Program is open to Victorians affected by the 2021 storms.

  • Lifeline (131 114):  24-hour telephone counselling, information and referral service
  • BeyondBlue (1300 224 636): Provides information on depression and anxiety. To access professional counselling services, please make contact with your GP and ask for a referral
  • Kids Help Line (1800 551 800): Confidential telephone counselling service for young people aged 5–25 years
  • Headspace (1800 650 890): Provide mental health support to young people, family and friends
  • ParentLine (132 289): Counselling and information for families with children (up to 18 years) from 8am to midnight, 7 days a week
  • Men’s Line Australia (1300 789 978): 24–hour counselling and advice for men
  • Safe Steps Family Violence Support (1800 015 188): a 24-hour national sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling
  • Family Violence support: There is an increased risk of family violence after an emergency. Help is available by calling 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732 - confidential) or go to the Family Violence Victoria website

Hardship support from Council

  • If you’re unable to live in your home or it is significantly damaged, you can request for the property’s value to be reassessed and amended as necessary. This may reduce the total rates and Fire Service Property Levy amount payable
  • If your house is deemed uninhabitable, you can request for waste service charges to be waived
  • If you’ve been impacted by the storm, you can request a payment arrangement or short-term deferral. Where severe impact has been confirmed, you can apply for financial hardship assistance
  • Properties meeting the above criteria may also be exempt from paying interest and from debt recovery action

More info: Email mail@cardinia.vic.gov.au – please include your name, property address and details of damage.

Financial counselling with South East Community Links

South East Community Links offers one on one financial counselling sessions over the phone. Telephone appointments are available Monday to Friday during business hours. 

Financial counsellors can assist you to:

  • access legal advice or other services 
  • advocate and negotiate to reduce/defer/waive payments with creditors
  • access grants or concessions
  • respond to factors contributing to your financial distress 
  • develop a money plan 
  • identify options and make informed decisions
  • understand your rights under the National Credit Code to apply for a hardship variation
  • understand the credit reporting system 
  • understand the impact of bankruptcy

To make an appointment contact South East Community Links on 9549 5288 or visit the South East Community Links website for more information.  

Utility bill assistance

Other financial assistance

A number of local agencies offer food, material aid and community meals.
More info: Food relief programs page

If your business was impacted by the 2021 storms, you can contact our Recovery Officer with your enquiries.

Email: recovery@cardinia.vic.gov.au

Mental Health for Small Businesses 

Partners in Wellbeing offers free and confidential mental health support as well as financial planning advice and business advisory services to small businesses across Victoria. 

The Small Business Mentoring Service

For free online mentoring is now available Australia wide, visit the Small Business Mentoring website

Eastern Dandenong Ranges Association

For more business support and information visit Eastern Dandenong Ranges Association website

Agriculture Victoria

Agriculture Victoria’s Ag Recovery team is supporting growers in the horticulture industry who were affected by the June storms and floods across Victoria. 

You can email them at recovery@agriculture.vic.gov.au

Tax support webinars for small businesses 

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) has a series of free webinars available that cover both general and industry-specific areas of tax obligations for small businesses.

To view the list of topics or register for a webinar visit the Australian Tax Office website