How to apply for kindergarten
Select a kindergarten
Prior to applying into a kindergarten programs, you are encouraged contact them directly to make an appointment to visit. Visiting more than one is a great way to get a feel for the program, to ask questions (about days and times, fees or subsidies available) and to share information about your child.
Use our kindergarten portal to:
- apply for kindergarten
- respond to kindergarten offers
- view, access and update enrolment information
- change preferences
- change year of attendance
- withdraw applications
How to apply
Submit your application for kindergarten online using the kindergarten portal.
Things to know before you apply:
- a non-refundable fee of $26 per application must be paid by credit/debit card during the application process (non-transferable)
- proof of birth is required when applying. Australian Government documentation such as birth certificate, passport or immunisation history statement (download from Medicare Online) is preferred
- applications must be submitted by 30 June to be included in the initial offer allocation for the following year
- applications made after 30 June will be processed in subsequent rounds
- we will confirm your application within 10 business days.
Contact us if you are unable to apply using the portal. If you cannot upload proof of birth documentation to the portal, complete with the application without the documentation and we will contact you.
Offers are sent by email (or mail if email is not available) and you can accept your offer using the kindergarten portal. Initial allocation offers for funded kindergarten start in early July and pre-kindergarten offers start in early August. Subsequent offers start 2 weeks after the initial offers are sent and are ongoing until all children are placed.
If there is a high demand for first preference places at a particular program, priority is given to:
- children attending the kindergarten for a second year
- priority children (according to the Victorian Government Kindergarten Guide)
- proximity of the preferred kindergarten (is it your local kindergarten)
- other siblings that have attended
- Cardinia Shire residents/ratepayers
Once you have received and accepted your offer, the kindergarten will contact you about the program and which days and hours are available. All questions should be directed to the kindergarten Early Years Management Service after you have received a placement.
I didn’t get my child’s first preference
We will contact you if your child did not get a place at the first preference and you will be allocated a place based on your other preferences.
- go on a waiting list for your first preference
- accept the alternative place
- change your preference to another kindergarten with a vacancy.
If you go on a waiting list for your first preference, you will enter a computer automated ballot based on the Priority of Access process for places as they become available. There is no guarantee that places will become available and we cannot provide information on your position on the waiting list.