Apply for the 2019 Youth Council
Applications now open
Applications are now open for the 2019 Youth Council – Learning and Leadership Program.
The 12-month program will start with a half-day introduction workshop in January 2019.
Apply online by 5pm, Friday 2 November 2018.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for 9 people aged between 16 and 21 to take part in the 2019 Youth Council- Learning and Leadership Program.
Please consider applying if you:
- are an aspiring leader
- want to increase your knowledge of government and politics
- have an interest in local community issues
- want to build a stronger community
- want to promote a positive image of young people.
What you will do as a Youth Councillor
- Run an election to elect a Youth Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
- Attend and run monthly Youth Council meetings with the support of Councillors and our Youth Services team.
- Develop and be supported to achieve collective and individual goals for the year.
- Strengthen your leadership and debating skills.
- Attend and be part of local community events.
As part of your application, you will need to attach a written reference from someone who has known you for at least 2 years.
The reference should include the following information:
- applicant’s name
- referee’s first name, surname, phone number, email address
- details about the referee's relationship to the applicant
- an explanation of why the referee believes the young person should be selected to be part of the 2019 Youth Council Learning and Leadership Program (200 words or less).
15 applicants will be shortlisted for interview at the end of October or early November 2018.
Working with children’s check
If you are selected as a Youth Councillor and over the age of 18, you will need to apply for a volunteer Working with Children’s check.
2018 Youth Council
Go to this page for more information on our 2018 Youth Council