Scheduled maintenance for several systems this Saturday 26 September

Several of our systems will be unavailable for much of Saturday 26 September, including: MyCardinia, Service Request forms, eHealth, ePlanning, Central Registration System (kindergarten registrations)

Apply for a weed control grant

  • The 2020–21 Weed Control Grants are now open.

Weed control grants are available to help landowners and community groups control noxious and environmental weeds on private property, both in agricultural areas and areas of high environmental value.

Funding is available for the following categories of approved weed control works:

  • Purchasing herbicide (maximum $250, or $500 for community groups).
  • Disposing of weed material, i.e. tip passes or skip hire (maximum $200).
  • Hiring of equipment, for example sprayers, mulchers etc (maximum $250).
  • Hiring contractors (maximum $250) - please refer to conditions below.

Receipts that are submitted for reimbursement must be dated in this current financial year. If your receipts do not meet the criteria no refund will be given. 

You will be notified by email of the outcome within 2 weeks of submitting your application. Receipts and progress report/payment request forms must be submitted via SmartyGrants in order to be reimbursed by Council.

We will do a random audit of properties to ensure compliance with the requirements of the grant program.

The grant is available for all landowners and community groups, for example Landcare and "friends of" groups within Cardinia Shire. We will also consider larger community and neighbourhood projects clearly demonstrating a greater need for funding.

Preference will be given to landholders who meet the following selection criteria:

  • the landholder will be working with neighbours or community groups (such as Landcare) to control weeds on a larger scale including roadsides.
  • the landholder wishes to control significant weeds in areas of high biodiversity value such as  bushland.

Only 1 grant is available per landowner (even if owning several properties).

Properties that are primary producers are not eligible for this grant.

Use of Chemicals

  • Always consider natural or chemical free options first, for example - grazing animals.
  • The chemical must be registered for use to control the targeted weed.
  • The chemical must be used at the application rate and in the prescribed manner as directed on the chemical label.
  • To ensure safe and efficient use, the chemical should be applied in accordance with the Code of Good Practice for Farm Chemical Spray Application.
  • Always refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet prior to using chemicals.
  • All safety precautions should be taken, including the wearing of protective clothing, appropriate storage and disposal of the chemical and ensuring there is no off-target damage.
  • Choose the chemical that will do the job, be the least toxic to the operator, and most beneficial to insects, including bees, and the environment.
  • Some chemicals are classified ‘restricted use’ (e.g. Grazon, Garlon) and legally require the person applying the chemical to have an Agricultural Chemical Users Permit (certificate).

Hiring a contractor

Landowners can undertake the weed control themselves or they can employ a licensed contractor; however a maximum of 50% of the cost of the contractor’s labour will be met by Council in all cases except where there are special circumstances, which may entitle individuals to a full refund up to a maximum of $250.

Special circumstances include holders of a Disability Card, Health Care Card or other benefit or entitlement card such as the pension. Please provide a copy of the relevant card with your application form.

Applications for the 2020–21 grants program open on Monday 6 July

Apply now

Contact our Biodiversity Officer on 1300 787 624