Free flu vaccinations available now for eligible community members
Flu vaccinations are now available for eligible community members through Cardinia Shire Council’s free community immunisation service or via a local GP, subject to stock availability.
Running year-round, Council’s free community immunisation service provides government-funded vaccines to eligible adults and infants under the National Immunisation Program (NIP), including the annual flu vaccinations.
The flu vaccine is free for eligible community members including:
- People aged 65 years and over.
- Children aged 6 months to under 5 years. (Please note: children in this age group who get a flu vaccination for the first time need 2 doses of vaccine, spaced by a minimum of 4 weeks).
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and over.
- Pregnant women (in any stage of pregnancy).
- People aged 6 months and over with medical conditions which increase the risk of influenza disease complications.
People outside these listed eligible groups can still receive the flu vaccine through a GP or pharmacy at a cost, subject to stock availability.
Council is following advice and direction from the Chief Medical Officer and working in consultation with the local police to continue to deliver this essential health service to the Cardinia Shire community.
Council has implemented a number of additional measures to reduce the risk to community and its health care team at this time, including and not limited to:
- Increasing instructional and directional signage at venues.
- Changing some of the venues to ensure capacity to cater for the gathering and physical distancing rules.
- Enforcing physical distancing and limiting the number of people permitted within the venues at a time.
- Employing additional hygiene measures.
Attendees are asked to be mindful that Council’s Health Care Workers at the immunisation sessions are doing their best and you must:
- Follow all instructions given by Council staff and Health Care Workers at the venues.
- Wherever possible, limit the number of people from their household that attend to only those that require the immunisation/s, such as a child and their carer only.
People who are feeling unwell or who have returned from overseas travel recently must not attend.
If you are unsure if the community immunisation service is suitable to your needs, or you do not feel comfortable attending a public session at this time, you should seek advice from your local GP.
For more information about the flu vaccinations, including eligibility and session times and locations, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/flu
For more information about Council’s community immunisation sessions, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/immunisation