Coronavirus (COVID-19) information

About changes to Council services (including our customer centre being closed), government assistance available, and our Coronavirus Online Help Hub. Find out more >

Better local roads start with community consultation

Published: 19 March 2020

Last night Cardinia Shire Council resolved to progress key infrastructure projects, which will shape the future of the region for generations to come.

Cardinia Shire Mayor Councillor Jeff Springfield said the Better Local Roads Program is possible due to $150 million of Australian Government funding that will see Cardinia Shire modernise and improve 111km of unsealed roads.

The funding from the Australian Government will be provided in stages over a 10-year period, starting later this year.

“We are grateful for this funding as it will change the way our communities live and commute around the Shire.

“Sealing roads reduces dust and improves all weather access for residents and emergency vehicles, necessities for areas such as the Dandenong Ranges,” Cr Springfield said.

“This project will help more than 3,400 families and residents in Cardinia Shire to get their roads sealed in the next 10 years, which will be a great result for our community,” Cr Springfield said.

In order to roll out this project, a contribution will be required from residents in the form of a Special Charge Scheme. Council has passed a motion to cap landowner contributions at $7,000 per development unit for the life of the program, using the Australian Government funding to subsidise the remaining cost of the works.

The funding provided by the Australia Government and council will make up 85 per cent of the cost of the program, with homeowners contributing the remaining 15 per cent.

The unsealed roads in the Shire included on the priority list were selected through several criteria, such as sharing a boundary with schools, preschools and community facilities; whether the roads are in an urban or township areas and the number of residents and road users who will benefit from the works.

“Design work is already underway for sealing roads abutting schools and community facilities, and we hope to get construction underway in the latter half of the year,” Cr Springfield said.

“Our community engagement team will shortly be contacting residents whose roads are scheduled for works first, to begin the consultation and information process.”

Residents participating in a special charge scheme will have an opportunity to share their feedback and decide if they would like to have their road sealed.

“We know this is going to be a long-term project and understand many residents are keen for us to begin. However, there must be a comprehensive street-by-street consultation.”

“We know the community will benefit in the long-run, whether you live on these roads or travel through them,” he said.

The Cardinia Shire townships that will benefit from the federally funded road sealing program include Avonsleigh, Beaconsfield, Beaconsfield Upper, Clematis, Cockatoo, Dewhurst, Emerald, Gembrook, Guys Hill, Mount Burnett, Nar Nar Goon North and Pakenham Upper.

For more information about our Better Local Roads Program, see the Council meeting minutes online at https://www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/meetings/meeting/128/council_meeting

For enquiries, please email Council at mail@cardinia.vic.gov.au