Have Your Say: Open Air Burning
The community is invited to provide feedback on Council’s Open Air Burning Regulations and associated Local Law 17, Part 5A.
The review is an opportunity to provide feedback on the current local regulations for open air burning - commonly known as ‘burning off’ – outside of the fire danger period.
Have your say on aspects of the policy and local law including:
- Days allowed to burn
- Size of land
- Dimensions of fire
Cardinia Shire Mayor Councillor Graeme Moore encouraged residents to provide feedback.
“The objective of the Open Air Burning policy and local law is to ensure that open air burning is used to minimise the risk of bushfire across the Shire in a safe manner and where alternative methods of vegetation waste disposal may not be practicable,” he said.
Following the review, updates may be made to ensure best practice, community expectations are met, and to deliver on Council Plan actions. Any change to the local law or policy will also seek to balance the need for fuel reduction and fire prevention with community amenity, environmental benefits and broader public health interests.
Residents are invited to have their say on Council’s Open Air Burning Regulations and associated Local Law 17, Part 5A by visiting www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/haveyoursay.
Council will also be conducting a range of drop-in sessions for residents to contribute their thoughts and ideas in person.
- Saturday 26 October, 10am to 12pm: Upper Beaconsfield CFA Open Day, Beaconsfield-Emerald Road, Upper Beaconsfield
- Wednesday 30 October 10-12pm: Corner of Main Street and Station Street, Gembrook
- Friday 1 November 3pm to 4pm: Outside Nar Nar Goon Primary School, Nar Nar Goon
- Monday 4 November 12pm to 2pm: Outside IGA 32 Westernport Road, Lang Lang
- Sunday 17 November 10am – 4pm: Music on the Grass – Koo Wee Rup Community Gardens, Rossiter Road, Koo Wee Rup
- Tuesday 19 November 11am – 12pm: Cuppa with a Cop – Koolangarra Reserve, Bunyip
Alternatively, feedback can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Open Air Burning Consultation, Cardinia Shire Council, PO Box 7, Pakenham VIC 3810.
Consultation closes 5pm, Friday 22 November 2019.
For more information and to provide feedback, visit www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/haveyoursay