Pakenham Level Crossing Removal Project (LXRP)
Council is a key stakeholder in this project. Find out how we are advocating for the community's needs in relation to the LXRP project.
Level crossings to be removed
The Cardinia Road Level Crossing was also recently removed by LXRP as part of a separate project.
The existing metropolitan line is also being extended by about 2 kilometres. The works will allow more services to be added to the Pakenham and Gippsland lines in the future.
- improve support and enhance opportunities for existing and future businesses
- integrate the train station, bus interchange and car parking with the town centre and surrounding communities, and improve pedestrian paths
- provide safe and functional community spaces
- enhance the look of the area, including by landscaping through the precinct
- improve traffic flow, including integrating the existing paths with new pedestrian and bicycle connections
- minimise disruption to local businesses and our wider community during construction.
View the 'Our vision' document for more information.
When it will happen
LXRP is aiming to deliver the project to the following timeline.
- Site investigations
- Community consultation
- Construction to start by the end of the year
2023 to 2024
Boom gates to be removed
Estimated date project will be completed
LXRP are now in the design stage for this project.
The 3 level crossings will be removed by raising the rail line over the roads.
- improve safety and reduce congestion
- allow for new community spaces
- minimise disruption to road and train users during construction.
Have your say
Visit the project's Engage Victoria web page to:
- fill in a survey for local businesses
- view current and past consultations
- ask a question about the project
- see questions from the local community and responses from LXRP
- view FAQs.