LXRP - Level Crossing Removal Project in Cardinia Shire
- As part of the Victorian Government's Level Crossing Removal Project (LXRP), 3 level crossings in Pakenham are being removed at McGregor Road, Main Street and Racecourse Road.
- As part of this project, new stations will be built at Pakenham and East Pakenham.
- The Cardinia Road Level Crossing was also recently removed by LXRP.
- The Victorian Government has also announced that 2 level crossings in Beaconsfield are also going to be removed by 2025.
Level crossings to be removed
LXRP is now in the design stage for this project. The 3 level crossings will be removed by raising the rail line over the roads, which will:
- improve safety and reduce congestion
- allow for new community spaces
- minimise disruption to road and train users during construction
New Pakenham and East Pakenham stations
Designs have been released for the brand-new Pakenham and East Pakenham stations, being built as part of the fast-tracked project to remove the 3 level crossings in Pakenham. You can view the designs here on the LXRP website
The existing metropolitan line is also being extended by about 2 kilometres. The works will allow more services to be added to the Pakenham and Gippsland lines in the future.
Level crossings at Brunt Road and Station Street, Beaconsfield will be removed by 2025.
Our involvement in the Pakenham Level Crossing Removal Project
- improve support and enhance opportunities for existing and future businesses
- integrate the train station, bus interchange and car parking with the town centre and surrounding communities, and improve pedestrian paths
- provide safe and functional community spaces
- enhance the look of the area, including by landscaping through the precinct
- improve traffic flow, including integrating the existing paths with new pedestrian and bicycle connections
- minimise disruption to local businesses and our wider community during construction.
View the 'Our vision' document for more information.
When the Pakenham Level Crossing Removal Project will be delivered
LXRP is aiming to deliver the project to the following timeline.
- Site investigations
- Community consultation
- Construction to start by the end of the year
2023 to 2024
Boom gates to be removed
Estimated date project will be completed.
Have your say
Visit the project's Engage Victoria web page to:
- view current and past consultations
- ask a question about the project
- see questions from the local community and responses from LXRP
- view FAQs.