Cardinia Shire's railway towns
These four towns are known as the ‘Railway Towns’:
- Nar Nar Goon
They provide a range of activities that contribute to the economic vitality of the rural areas for Cardinia Shire. A background report has been prepared for discussion purposes titled The draft Cardinia Railway Towns - Economic, Social and Land Use Assessment, Nar Nar Goon, Tynong, Garfield and Bunyip.
The draft background report includes an assessment of the following:
- the role and function of each of the railway towns (Nar Nar Goon, Tynong, Garfield and Bunyip)
- the implications of the development of Pakenham and Pakenham East for these towns
- the relationship between the towns and what role they play in supporting one another
- an analysis of the demand and supply for retail, commercial, industrial and residential development within the towns
- provides recommendations to guide the future development of these towns
- identifies 6 principles to ensure the rail towns successfully function as engaging, attractive areas that service the needs of residents, visitors and workers.
As part of the first stage of consultation, community feedback was sought on the draft background report. The draft background report document was placed on exhibited from 8 May and feedback on the draft report was due 19 July 2019.
Council considered feedback on the draft report at its Council Meeting on 16 September 2019 and resolved that Council:
- Support that further work is required as outlined in this report in order to provide Council with information and evidence to:
- satisfy the actions outlined in the 2017-21 Council Plan
- develop clear policy direction
- provide a framework to guide any future township strategy for Nar Nar Goon and Tynong or review the existing strategies of Garfield and Bunyip
- articulate principles that are based on sound evidence and community input that can be used as an advocate tool where Council does not have the authority to make decisions.
- Advise all submitters be of Council's resolution and Council's webpage be updated to reflect the next steps of this project.
Read item 7 on the 16 September 2019 Council meeting agenda.
Where to from here?
The issues that requre further review are as follows:
|Issue||Why is this important?|
|1. Nar Nar Goon and Tynong are the priority||
|2. Understand of key infrastructure and services - current capacity and impact future expansion occur||
|3. Principles - clear direction based on evidence||
|4. Current footprint of Nar Nar Goon and Tynong - additional work required||
|5. Requirement of a principle identifying change - the extent and preferred location||
Further community consultation will be undertaken throughout this project.
For further information on the Railway Towns project, please contact Lorna Lablache, Principal Strategic Planner, via firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 787 624.