Amendment C244 - Pakenham Activity Centre Parking Overlay
About the amendment
Following community consultation from January to March 2018, a modified version of the Pakenham Parking Precinct Plan (May 2018) was adopted by Council in May 2018, in response to community feedback.
Amendment C244 proposes to implement the objectives of the Pakenham Parking Precinct Plan (May 2018) by applying the Parking Overlay to Pakenham’s central business area (Pakenham Activity Centre).
Amendment C244 was on exhibition from 4 October 2018 to Tuesday 6 November 2018. Council considered all submissions and on 18 February 2019 resolved to refer the amendment to an independent planning panel. Refer to item 1 of the meeting minutes.
The Panel held a Directions Hearing on 22 March 2019 which was attended by Council officers but no submitters. On 1 April 2019, Planning Panels Victoria advised Council that the Panel would consider all submissions and Council’s response to those submissions ‘on the papers’ as the submitters has not made a request to be heard. Accordingly, no Panel Hearing was held.
The amendment details and a copy of the Panel Report can be found on the Amendment C244 page on the DELWP website.
A report requesting adoption of the amendment went to Council. Read Item 2 of the 17 June 2019 Council meeting minutes.
- The Parking Overlay allows Council to collect a financial contribution from commercial and business landowners in Pakenham’s central business area who apply for, and are issued with, a planning permit to waive or reduce car parking spaces on their property.
- If a landowner is not issued with such a permit, then no financial contribution is required to be paid.
- This amendment does not apply to residential properties.
What changes are proposed to the Cardinia Planning Scheme?
Amendment C244 seeks to:
- amend Clause 21.04 - Economic development to insert the Pakenham Parking Precinct Plan (May 2018) as a reference document.
- introduce Clause 45.09 - Parking Overlay and a schedule to the Parking Overlay (Schedule 1).
- introduce new Parking Overlay maps (Map No.s 14PO, 15PO, and 17PO).
- amends the Schedule to Clause 72.03
Why are we proposing this change?
As Pakenham Activity Centre develops, it is important to make sure there are enough car spaces to meet demand.
The Parking Overlay will help us improve existing public car parking spaces and provide additional car parking facilities to meet future demands.
We also plan to install more wayfinding signs and increase awareness of car parking options in the Pakenham Activity Centre.
Properties affected by the proposed amendment
Land identified as having commercial and business capabilities within the Pakenham Activity centre is shown on this map.
View a large version of the map
About the proposed financial contribution
How much is it?
$12,000 (excluding GST) per car space. The rate will be adjusted on 1 July each year by applying the Building Price Index for Melbourne as given in the Rawlinson’s Australian Construction Handbook.
How was this figure calculated?
The Victorian Government’s Practice Note on the Parking Overlay specifies that Council can only require payment for car parking which reflects the cost of providing a car space.
This figure was determined by reviewing recent car park constructions, whilst keeping in mind that car parking in town centres is shared with users, and that it is important that the amount is appropriate to encourage development.