Cardinia Planning Scheme and planning scheme amendments
About the Cardinia Planning Scheme
- Each local government area in Victoria is covered by a planning scheme, in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987
- A planning scheme is a statutory document which sets out objectives, policies and provisions for the use, development and protection of land.
- The Cardinia Planning Scheme sets out how land is protected and how it can be used and developed in Cardinia Shire.
Planning schemes consist of:
- maps which show how the land is zoned and overlays affecting the land
- an ordinance which sets out the written requirements of a scheme and the types of use or development which needs a permit
- incorporated documents – studies, strategies, guidelines and policies that are incorporated and also form part of the planning scheme
Amendments to the Cardinia Planning Scheme
- Sometimes the Cardinia Planning Scheme is amended.
- Planning schemes require changes to achieve certain planning outcomes, support new policies and to ensure that requirements continue to meet the needs of the local community.
- Changes may be made by Council, the Minister for Planning or any other Minister or public authority.
- Landowners may also apply to amend zones and controls that affect their land.
Planning scheme amendment fees apply. To view the fees go to the DELWP website.
Make a submission on a proposed amendment
Any person who may be affected by an amendment is entitled to make a submission.
It is important to note that submissions to amendments are public documents under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (the Act). Section 21(2) of the Act requires a planning authority to make a copy of every submission available at its office for any person to inspect during office hours free of charge until the end of two months after an amendment comes into operation or lapses.
Please ensure you read the privacy collection notice on Council’s Submissions and objections related to notifications given under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 web page before making a submission.
Use our submission form to make a submission to an amendment currently on exhibition.
To ensure a submission is considered, it must be received no later than 5pm on the final day of exhibition.
Municipal Strategic Statement (MSS) Review
Regular review of the Cardinia Planning Scheme to ensure that it is up to date, consistent with Victorian Government planning policy, and does not contain errors.
- On exhibition: Thursday 14 November to Monday 16 December 2019
- Information: Amendment C250 - Municipal Strategic Statement Review
Pakenham Activity Centre Parking Overlay
Amendment C244 proposes to apply a Parking Overlay to the Pakenham Activity Centre, as identified by the Pakenham Parking Precinct Plan (May 2018), and proposes to include this document as a reference document at Clause 21.04 Economic Development of the Cardinia Planning Scheme.
- Exhibited: 4 October to 6 November 2018.
- Council decision: Adopted. Read item 2 on the 17 June 2019 Council meeting agenda.
- Information: Amendment C244 - Pakenham Activity Centre Parking Overlay.
- More information: View Amendment C244 on the DELWP website.
Pakenham Structure Plan Heritage Review (February 2018)
Amendment C242 proposes to put in place the recommendations of the Pakenham Structure Plan Heritage Review (February 2018). This would ensure the protection of the Pakenham Activity Centre's cultural, aesthetic and architectural heritage, by applying heritage controls to a number of places and precincts.
- Exhibited: 6 August to 7 September 2018.
- Panel Hearing: Held 27-28 March 2019.
- Council decision: Adopted. Read item 1 on the 17 June 2019 Council meeting agenda.
- Minister's decision: Approved with changes. Gazetted on 30/08/2019.
- Information: Amendment C242 - Protect heritage places in the Pakenham Activity Centre
- More information: View Amendment C242 on the DELWP website.
Glismann Road Development Plan Draft
Amendment C238 proposes to rezone the land from the Rural Living Zone (RLZ) and General Residential (GRZ1) to the General Residential 2 Zone (GRZ2), apply a Development Plan Overlay (DPO) to the area, remove the Environmental Significance Landscape Overlay Schedule 1 (ESO1) and introduce an Environment Audit Overlay (EAO) on a property that has been identified as having a high potential contamination risk.
Council is seeking authorisation from the Minister for Planning to prepare Amendment C238.
Information: Amendment C238 - Glismann Road Development Plan Draft.
Cardinia Planning Scheme corrections
Amendment C237 seeks to amend various provisions of the Cardinia Planning Scheme to correct mapping anomalies, delete redundant controls and correct ordinance errors.
145 Rossiter Road, Koo Wee Rup rezoning, development plan overlay and heritage mapping
Amendment C235 seeks to rezone the land from Farming Zone to Neighbourhood Residential Zone Schedule 1 (NRZ1) and apply a development plan overlay. The amendment also corrects the mapping for a heritage property named ‘Shepton Mallet’ known as HO198 in the Cardinia Planning Scheme’s Heritage Overlay.
- Exhibited: 27 June to 2 August 2019.
- Information: Amendment C235 - Rezoning 145 Rossiter Road, Koo Wee Rup.
- More information: View Amendment C235 on the DELWP website.
Pakenham East Precinct Structure Plan
Amendment C234 incorporates the Pakenham East Precinct Structure Plan into the planning scheme.
- Exhibited: 18 February to 23 February 2018.
- Council report: Read item 1 on the 19 March 2018 Council meeting agenda.
- Panel Hearing: Held for 12 days between 30 May to 3 July 2018.
- VPA decision: Adopted 10 October 2018.
- More information: View Amendment C234 on the DELWP website and Pakenham East Precinct Structure Plan web page on the VPA website.
Officer Precinct Structure Plan Town Centre review
Amendment C232 seeks to implement an amended Officer Precinct Structure Plan.
The Victorian Planning Authority (VPA) in consultation with Cardinia Shire Council is reviewing the Officer Town Centre.
- Exhibited: 22 March to 27 April 2018.
- Panel Hearing: Held for 6 days between 4 December to 12 December 2018.
- VPA decision: Adopted on 15 May 2019.
- Information: View Amendment C232 - Development of the Officer Town Centre.
- More information: View Amendment C232 on the DELWP website and the Officer Precinct Structure Plan web page on VPA's website.
Southern Brown Bandicoot Environmental Significance Overlay
Amendment C229 proposes to apply an Environmental Significance Overlay (ESO7) to protect habitat for the Southern Brown Bandicoots in the townships of Tynong, Garfield and Bunyip.
- Exhibited: 4 October to 7 November 2018.
- Information: Amendment C229 - Southern Brown Bandicoot habitat protection.
- More information: View Amendment C229 on the DELWP website.
Pakenham Structure Plan 2019 and Pakenham Major Activity Centre Urban Design Framework 2019
Amendment C228 proposes to implement the Pakenham Structure Plan 2019 and Pakenham Major Activity Centre Urban Design Framework 2019 into the Cardinia Planning Scheme.
On exhibition: 24 October to 6 December 2019.
Officer Precinct Structure Plan (September 2011) policy repairs
Amendment C226 seeks to repair inconsistent policy in the Urban Growth Zone Schedule 3 (UGZ3) and the applied Schedule of the Rural Conservation Zone (RCZ) that prevents development in the 3 lots identified from occurring in line with the Officer Precinct Structure Plan (PSP) that was adopted by Council in 2011.
85 McNamara Road, Bunyip
Amendment C222 seeks to rezone the land at 85 McNamara Road, Bunyip and apply a Development Plan Overlay to the land.
80 McDonalds Track and Westernport Road, Lang Lang
Amendment C205 seeks to rezone part of the land at 80 McDonalds Track and Westernport Road, Lang Lang.
The Victoria Government Gazette provides official notification of actions or decisions, including planning decisions, by the Governor of Victoria, government departments, government authorities, local councils, companies and individuals.