COVID-19 information

The COVID-19 Online Help Hub has information on restrictions in Victoria, changes to Council services and facilities, government assistance available, COVID-19 health information and more. Visit the hub >

COVID-19 Information Hub

  • This page features web links, fact sheets and videos on topics including support available for individuals, households and businesses, current statistics and case numbers, getting tested, how to protect yourself and others, family violence support, and looking after your mental health.alt=""
  • If you're having trouble finding the information you need, or understanding something on this page, please submit this online form and a Council officer will contact you.

TIP: To jump straight to information about a particular topic on this page, use the jump-to menu. (You'll find this at the top of your screen on a mobile device, or to your left on a desktop). 

National Interpreter Symbol

COVID-19 information in your language 

Amharic   Arabic   Assyrian   Bengali   Bosnian   Burmese   Chaldean   Chin   Chinese   Croatian   Cook Islands Maori (Rarotongan)   Dari   Dinka   Fijian   Filipino   French   Greek   Gujarati   Hakka   Hazaragi   Hindi    Indonesian   Italian   Japanese   Karen   Khmer   Korean   Macedonian   Malay   Maltese   Nepali   Niuean - Vagahau Niue   Nuer   Oromo   Pashto   Persian (Farsi)   Polish   Portuguese   Punjabi   Rohingya   Russian   Samoan   Serbian   Sinhalese   Somali   Spanish   Swahili   Tamil   Thai   Tigrinya   Tongan   Turkish   Urdu   Vietnamese  Zomi

DHHS - translated resources   Beyond Blue - Mental health translated resources 

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS)

If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 to speak to an interpreter. Ask them to phone Cardinia Shire Council on 1300 787 624

1800 675 398 – open 24 hours, 7 days a week. 

For enquiries about COVID-19 health concerns or current restrictions. 

Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

Coronavirus hotline is 1800675398

Information about case locations and outbreaks is available on the DHHS website.

DHHS – case locations

COVID-19 restrictions change (5.59pm, Monday 11 January 2021)

  • The Victorian Government has announced changes to COVID-19 restrictions to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
  • From 5:59pm on 11 January 2021, you will need to apply for a permit to enter Victoria from anywhere in Australia.
  • Areas will be designated green, orange or red zones by the Chief Health Officer based on public health advice. Restrictions will apply for different zones.
  • Please note that NSW border community residents are exempt from obtaining a permit to enter Victoria.
  • Apply for a permit at Service Victoria
  • For specific guidance on what you must do if you’ve been to a red or orange zone, please visit
  • Masks are mandatory in public indoor spaces. If you have visitors in your home, it is strongly recommended that masks are worn during the visit. Masks must be worn in indoor public spaces apart from when eating or drinking. If you are planning to leave your home – take a mask.
  • Wearing a face mask is strongly recommended outdoors when you can’t keep 1.5 metres distance from other people.
  • The limit on the number of people gathering in the home has been reduced from 30 to 15, meaning the household members plus 15 visitors (excluding children under 12 months of age).  
  • Several exposure sites in Victorian have been identified as having been visited by positive COVID-19 cases. If you have visited these sites, please check for guidance including quarantine and where to get tested.

COVIDSafe Summer restrictions - key points 

  • COVIDSafe Summer restrictions are now in place (from 11.59pm on Sunday 6 December 2020).  
  • Continue to practice good hand hygiene, physical distancing and cough or sneeze into your elbow.
  • Up to 100 people can meet outdoors in a public place.
  • Businesses that are required to record the details of visitors should use electronic record keeping or QR codes.
  • Restaurants, cafes, bars and pubs can open for seated and unseated service with electronic record keeping and density limits.
  • There are also increases to the number of people allowed at community facilities such as libraries, sporting facilities (such as gyms), and entertainment facilities (such as cinemas).
  • If you have symptoms of COVID-19, get tested and stay home.

For more information on what you can and can’t do during the current restrictions visit the Coronavirus Victoria website

COVIDSafe Summer information - Coronavirus Victoria

Cardinia Shire Council operations during these restrictions

  • Many Council services are still operating during current restrictions. We are prioritising services that impact the safety, health and wellbeing of the community – as has been our focus throughout the pandemic.
  • All essential workers who are employed with or contracted to Council are operating in line with Council’s COVID Safe Plan – which is designed to keep our community and workers safe.

For information on the delivery of Council services during this time visit Changes to Council services

More info: Community Recovery Committee

  • Masks are mandatory in public indoor spaces. If you have visitors in your home, it is strongly recommended that masks are worn during the visit. Masks must be worn in indoor public spaces apart from when eating or drinking. If you are planning to leave your home – take a mask.
  • Wearing a face mask is strongly recommended outdoors when you can’t keep 1.5 metres distance from other people.
  • If you are in the car alone or with someone from your household, you do not need to wear a face mask. If you are driving your car for work, such as deliveries, or with people from outside your household then you are required to wear a face mask. 

DHHS - Face masks or Coronavirus Victoria website 

Free face masks for eligible Cardinia Shire residents

  • If you meet DHHS eligibility criteria, you may be able to access an allocation of free face masks. Eligibility criteria is below. 
  • Face masks are available now at the local pharmacies and stores listed below. 
  • This Victorian Government initiative is designed to protect vulnerable community members during the COVID-19 pandemic and help reduce the spread of COVID-19 infection across the community.
  • For more information on the Victorian Government direction about face masks and coverings visit the DHHS website

Am I eligible for free face masks?

Eligibility criteria is on the DHHS website, and also listed below for your convenience.  

Community members eligible for free face masks through this program include:

  • people who are being actively managed for the following chronic conditions: 
    • poor immunity
    • heart disease, diabetes and stroke
    • obesity
    • chronic lung disease
    • alcohol and drug dependency
    • frailty
  • people living in public housing, in crisis accommodation, or who are homeless
  • people living in rooming houses and supported residential services
  • people living with disability
  • people experiencing mental health and their carers
  • people with health and/or social issues that make them vulnerable, including people with alcohol and drug issues, including those attending primary and secondary needle and syringe programs
  • people experiencing family violence
  • people living in residential facilities
  • young people living in mandatory facilities
  • Aboriginal people
  • Refugee and asylum seekers (including temporary visa holders).

Where to collect free face masks 

  • If you meet the eligibility criteria above, you can visit one of the local businesses listed below to collect your allocation of single-use masks.
  • Reusable masks will also be available at these locations soon. We will update this web page to let you know when they are available.


Bayles General Store
675 Koo Wee Rup-Longwarry Road
Ph: 5997 7203


Beaconsfield Guardian Pharmacy
55 Old Princes Highway
Ph: 9707 5187


Beaconsfield Neighbourhood Centre
8 O'Neil Road
Ph: 8768 4400


Bunyip Pharmacy
19 High Street
Ph: 5629 5407


Cockatoo Pharmacy
36/38 McBride Street
Ph: 5968 8555


Emerald Village Pharmacy
8 Kilvington Drive
Ph: 5968 3023


Garfield Pharmacy
73 Nar Nar Goon-Longwarry Rd
Ph: 5629 2408


Gembrook Post Office
72 Main Street
Ph: 5968 1209


Direct Chemist Warehouse
29-65 Station Street
Ph: 5997 2426


Discount Phamacy
10-16 Station Street
Ph: 5997 2426

Lang Lang

Lang Lang Pharmacy
3/14-16 Westernport Road
Ph: 5997 5403


Maryknoll General Store
4 Turramurra Road
Ph: 5942 8242

Nar Nar Goon

Nar Nar Goon Post Office
1 Nar Nar Goon Road
Ph: 5942 5201


Chemist Discount Centre
Shop 18, Arena Shopping Centre
Ph: 5940 0767


Pakenham Discount Drug Store
Shop 3, 9 Village Way
Ph: 5909 6399


Chemist Warehouse
Shop 4, 173 McGregor Road
Ph: 5941 8311


Chemist Warehouse
154 Main Street
Ph: 5941 1888


Shop 1 Pakenham Place
Ph: 5941 1933


Lakeside Advantage Pharmacy
Village Lakeside. 9/19-27 Lakeside Blvd
Ph: 5940 2900


Good Neighbour Pharmacy
Pakenham Place Shopping Centre
31-33 John Street
Ph: 5941 1919


United Chemists
Pakenham Market Place
Ph: 5940 4295


Cardinia Lakes Pharmacy
Shop 6, 140 Windemere Blvd
Ph: 5940 5218


Tynong Post Office
40 Railway Avenue
Ph: 5629 2488

Upper Beaconsfield

Upper Beaconsfield Pharmacy
53 Beaconsfield-Emerald Road
Ph: 5944 3881

How to wear a face mask

Disposing of face masks 

  • Please dispose of single-use face masks and gloves in your household rubbish bin. (And as always, please make sure any waste that goes in your rubbish bin is contained in a bin liner or garbage bag).
  • Disposable face masks aren’t recyclable so please don’t put them in your recycling bin, or allow them to become litter in our streets and waterways.


For information on COVID-19 symptoms visit the DHHS website or try the DHHS interactive self assessment tool

Getting tested 

DHHS - Getting tested for COVID-19

 The link above takes you to information including: 

  • where to get tested 
  • taking the test
  • getting your results 
  • test isolation and worker support payments
  • COVID-19 interactive self assessment

For information on payments to help you while you self isolate, go to the financial support section

COVID-19 testing locations in Cardinia Shire 

Emerald: Pop-up screening clinic, 348 Belgrave Gembrook Rd Emerald.  Please contact EACH on 1300 219 449 for opening hours. 
Koo Wee Rup: Drive-through testing site, Swimming pool, Kooweerup Regional Health Service, 228 Rossiter Road. Please call ahead before you go to this location for testing on 5997 9679
Pakenham: Drive-through testing site.

For clinic locations and opening hours visit the list of pop up testing sites or the testing sites map - DHHS

COVID-19 testing at home for vulnerable people

The Call-to-Test service is available to some of Victoria's most vulnerable community members, so they can get tested for COVID-19 at home with a qualified health clinician.

For more information including eligibility criteria visit Call-to-Test information on the DHHS website

DHHS - Quarantine and isolation

The link above takes you to information including: 

  • the difference between quarantine and isolation
  • what does isolation and quarantine at home involve? 
  • caring for people in isolation or quarantine 
  • extra help and support. 

alt=" "

Department of Health - How to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 

The link above will take you to information including:  

  • good hygiene (including washing your hands, covering your coughs and cleaning your home or workplace) 
  • how to slow the spread 
  • vaccination 
  • face masks 
  • physical distancing 
  • caring for your health  
  • public gatherings 
  • isolation 
  • quarantine

Location Who produced the resource  Link to resource
Cardinia Shire DHHS Case numbers in each local government area (testing data table)
By location  DHHS Case numbers by location in Victoria (data dashboard)
In Victoria DHHS
In Australia  Department of Health 
Worldwide World Health Organisation COVID-19 dashboard (includes number of cases and deaths worldwide)

This directory puts you in touch with local service providers and key organisations that can provide support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please note it is not an exhaustive listing.

  • Community groups and organisations may find the shorter version also provided below (the flyer) useful. We are happy for this resource to be shared with other organisations.   
  • We thank the community workers in Cardinia Shire network for helping to compile this directory.
  • Please note organisations listed are not Cardinia Shire Council services. The information has been complied in good faith however Council accepts no responsibility for the service or information they provide. 

View the directory  View the flyer

The Australian Government is providing financial assistance including income support payments, payments to support households and temporary early releases of superannuation.

Treasury – Supporting individuals and households

The link above will take you to information about topics including: 

  • JobKeeper payment
  • increased income support
  • HomeBuilder
  • accessing superannuation
  • support payments for households 
  • extra payments for pensioners
  • reduced superannuation drawdowns for retirees. 

Emergency relief packages

Vulnerable Victorians who need to self-quarantine due to COVID-19 and don’t have enough food to feed themselves or their families may be eligible to receive a relief package of basic supplies.

DHHS – Emergency relief packages

The link above will take you to information on these free support packages.  

Find work or employees if you’ve been impacted by COVID-19

The Victorian Government has established a fund to help jobseekers find work and employers find workers. This includes people who have lost their jobs, or businesses who need more workers due to the impacts of COVID-19.

Victorian Government – Working for Victoria

The link above will take you to information for jobseekers and businesses on how to get involved.

Other support if you have lost your job or income

DHHS – Find support if you have lost your job or income

The link above will take you to more information about support you can find if you lost your job or income due to COVID-19, including:

  • Financial support
  • Rent or mortgage support
  • Budgeting and debt help 
  • Mental health support

Visit the Cardinia Business portal

Support payments so you can self-isolate after testing or stay home if you test positive to COVID-19

The Australian Government is offering a $1500 COVID-19 Worker Support Payment to Victorians who can't earn an income because they must self-isolate or quarantine at home, or they are caring for someone with COVID-19. Get more information from Services Australia

Victorian workers can also apply for a $450 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Test Isolation Payment that provides financial support while they self-isolate to wait for the results of a coronavirus (COVID-19) test, if they have exhausted all sick leave entitlements.

Extreme hardship support program

  • The Extreme Hardship Support Program can provide financial assistance, information and referrals to people living in Victoria who are experiencing significant hardship as a result of COVID-19, and who are unable to access other forms of Victorian Government and Australian Government income support.
  • The program provides support for temporary and provisional visa holders and undocumented migrants with little or no income, savings or community support.

Find out more about the Extreme Hardship Support Program (Word)

Rent relief grant

If you're experiencing rental hardship due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for a one-off grant to help you maintain safe, secure and stable accommodation.
The rental assistance fund provides rent relief payments of up to $3,000. 

DHHS website - Ret relief grant

How we’re helping with rates 

  • Payment plan options – everyone is encouraged to request a rates payment plan after receiving their rates. 
  • Rates rebate – if you are an eligible Health Card Holder or receiving JobSeeker, you can apply for a $50 COVID-19 Health Care Card rebate
  • Interest waiver – interest on outstanding rates payments, and action to recover this year's rates, has been automatically suspended until 31 March 2021. 
  • Financial hardship – If you’re facing financial hardship and having difficulty making payments against your 2020-21 rates, we’re here to help. You can submit a financial hardship application form and we’ll be in touch to discuss your options. To further support ratepayers suffering serious financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ll also waive 2% of your 2020-21 rates (excluding fire services property levy and waste charges) upon approval of your financial hardship application.

Protecting your gas and electricity from getting disconnected

Households facing economic hardship because of COVID-19 are protected from having their gas or electricity disconnected, as a result of reforms put in place by the Victorian Government. 

  • Under the reforms, energy retailers must give assistance to any household that contacts them because they're having trouble paying their bills. The assistance could include a payment plan, putting account payments on hold while customers work towards paying for their usage, or extending bill due dates.
  • If you are struggling financially, contact your service provider as you cannot be disconnected while participating in a hardship plan. 

Help with your water bill

If you are struggling to pay your South East water bill, fill out this online form on the South East Water website and their team will contact you about payment solutions. 

Get support and advice for taking control of your bills

You may be able to get help with a cheaper rate on your energy bill by contacting your service provider or comparing energy plans at the Compare Energy website, which is provided by the Victorian Government. 

The Victorian Government has also provided funding to give support and advice, in partnership with community organisations, to households that are currently struggling to pay their energy bills:

  • Brotherhood of St Laurence is helping eligible Victorians with free and independent advice on lowering energy costs. Register your interest by calling 1800 830 029 or submitting the online form.
  • EnergyInfoHub is providing free webinars and information to help reduce energy costs using simple steps.

Relief grants for paying overdue energy or water bills

If you have experienced an unexpected financial hardship and need urgent help to pay your next electricity, gas, or water bill, you may be eligible for a utility relief grant of up to $650 from the Victorian Government.

To be eligible, you must:

  • be a concession card holder, or on a very low income
  • and meet the criteria for facing financial hardship.

DHHS – Utility relief grant scheme (electriciy, gas and water)

Firewood and other non-mains energy sources  

If you’re facing financial hardship 

If you have experienced an unexpected financial hardship and need urgent help to pay your next bill for firewood, fuel, or other non-mains energy source that you rely on, you may be eligible for a non-mains energy grant of up to $650 from the Victorian Government. 

To be eligible, you must: 

  • be a concession card holder, or on a very low income 
  • and meet the criteria for facing financial hardship. 

DHHS – utility relief grant scheme (non-mains)  

Annual concessions 

The Victorian Government also provides assistance to concession card holders who rely on firewood, fuel, or other non-mains energy sources, for heating, cooking or hot water. 

DHHS – non-mains energy concessions 

National Debt Helpline 

The helpline is a not-for-profit service that helps you tackle your debt problems. They are not a lender. Their professional financial counsellors offer a free, independent and confidential service to help you get back on track. 

For advice visit the National Debt Helpline website or call 1800 007 007

This package has measures including: 

  • rates relief options for ratepayers
  • fast-tracking approvals so businesses can diversify
  • rebates for some business fees and charges
  • rent relief options for tenants in Council properties
  • business concierge services

Find out more about the package

Getting the support you need

If you feel you are in immediate danger, call 000. 

It's normal to feel overwhelmed, stressed or anxious during a time like this. It’s important to remind yourself that this is a normal reaction.

These organisations can offer you support during the COVID-19 pandemic. 



  • A new, free mental health clinic has opened in Officer. To connect with the service, call the number below.
  • A trained professional will take your call, provide advice and, if you need it, connect you to a HeadtoHelp hub or help you find the support that suits your needs.
  • No GP referral is needed. 


Ph: 1800 595 212 (free call) Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm


HeadtoHelp FAQs




Ph: 13 11 44
Chat: Crisis support chat 
Text : 0477 131 114


Mental health and wellbeing during the COVID-19 outbreak


Suicide Call Back Service 


Ph: 1300 65 94 67
Website: Online counselling


Physical, mental and financial support during COVID-19  


Rainbow Door 

Info  Rainbow Door is a free specialist LGBTIQA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Gender Diverse, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, BrotherBoys, SisterGirls) helpline providing information, support, and referral to all LGBTIQA+ Victorians, their friends and family during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond. 


Ph: 1800 729 367
Text: 0480 017 246


Physical, mental and financial support during COVID-19  


Department of Health and Human Services


Mental health resources during COVID-19

This link will take you to information including: 


Kids Helpline (for people aged 5 to 25) 


Ph: 1800 55 1800   
Website: WebChat


Are you worried about Coronavirus? 


Raising Children


Parentline Victoria
Ph: 132 289


COVID-19: Information for parents and carers

This link takes you to information including:  

  • talking with children and teenagers about physical distancing and self-isolation
  • physical distancing and children with disability, autism and other conditions
  • physical distancing and family wellbeing.   


Headspace (for people 12 to 25) 


Website: Group chats
Connect with a clinician
e headspace online support and counselling


Here for you during Coronavirus (COVID-19)


Reach Out (for under 25s) 


Website: Online forums


Coping during Coronavirus (COVID-19) 

This link will take you to information including: 

10 ways to take care of yourself during Coronavirus
How to deal with uncertainty during Coronavirus
Stories from young people during Coronavirus
Dealing with bad world news
How to talk to your teenager about Coronavirus
Stressed about study during Coronavirus?
Staying socially connected during Coronavirus


Beyond Blue 


Ph: 1300 22 4636
Website: Online forums and online form


Coronavirus mental wellbeing support service 

This link takes you to information including:  

  • small business owners and mental health
  • staying connected during a pandemic
  • how to talk to kids about Coronavirus
  • ways to stay positive if you’ve lost your job. 


MensLine Australia


Ph: 1300 78 99 78
Website: Online chat and video chat counselling


Physical, mental and financial support during COVID-19


Aboriginal Men's Crisis Support Line


Ph: 1800 435 799
Website: Online form


Black Dog Institute 


Coronavirus: Resources for anxiety, stress and wellbeing


Australian Psychological Society 


Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for Australians

This link takes you to information including: 

  • Maintaining your mental health during social isolation
  • Tips for coping with coronavirus anxiety 
  • Coronavirus anxiety and staying mentally healthy - for older adults
  • Accessing your psychologist via telehealth. 


Sane Australia


Ph: 1800 18 7263
Website: Lived Experience forum

Stay connected with others 

  • Make sure you reach out to the people you trust, like friends, family, neighbours and workmates via phone, e-mail, Facetime, Facebook video, WhatsApp video or other online services.
  • Share how you feel and try linking with people who are in a similar situation as you. If possible, join an online forum, social media group or other online community to support others and yourself

Set up healthy daily routines

  • A regular routine will help you feel happier and less bored. Your routine should include maintaining regular mealtimes, eating a healthy and balanced diet, getting enough sleep and keeping physically active around the house. Avoid excessive use of alcohol.
  • If you continue to work during self-quarantine, try to stick to your normal work times. If you have spare time, consider doing tasks that give you a sense of achievement.
  • If you smoke, consider quitting or at least reducing your smoking during this time. 

In an emergency dial 000. 

You are not alone. If you feel frightened or need advice, help and support, or a safe place to stay during COVID-19, there are organisations that can help you. 

When it’s safe to do so, contact or have someone you know contact safe steps 24/7 on 1800 015 188 or so you can plan for your and your children’s safety – regardless of whether you want to stay in the relationship or leave.

  • With more people staying at home to reduce the community spread of COVID-19, there may be an increased risk for victim survivors experiencing family violence.
  • The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and self-isolation requirements may impact you or your family. There may be financial pressure, family tensions or a heightened sense of uncertainty and anxiety. No matter what the external stressors, violence should not be tolerated.
  • Has the behaviour of your partner or family member/s made you feel threatened or unsafe? Family violence can include emotional abuse, financial abuse, physical or sexual violence, and coercive and controlling behaviour. This can include abusers restricting your movements, access to communication technology or isolating you from friends or family.  
  • It may be very difficult to reach out for assistance during the coronavirus emergency. Be assured that you have the right to feel safe, access medical support and maintain contact with friends and family. You also have the right to leave the house and won’t be fined if you do so.
  • The DHHS website states that Victoria Police continue to address and prevent family violence as a priority. The police response remains unchanged. 
  • The DHHS website states that all Magistrates’ Courts are open. Family Violence matters – including Family Violence Intervention Orders – continue to be heard, with urgent and high-risk matters being prioritised. 

DHHS - Family violence crisis response and support during Coronavirus

Where to get assistance 

Safe steps

The state-wide access point for those who need to leave a violent situation and access emergency crisis accommodation. 
Ph: 1800 015 188 for help, 24/7. 


Ph: 9791 6111, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (Dandenong office). 
Online form
After hours: 1800 015 188 

Dandenong office open
During COVID-19, the WAYSS Dandenong office is still open. 
20 Princes Highway, Dandenong
Open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

View information about Family violence support services

Victims of Crime Helpline 

1800 819 817 or text 0427 767 891 (8am to 11pm every day)

Sexual Assault Crisis Line  1800 806 292 (24 hours a day, seven days a week)
Men's Referral Service  1300 766 491 (8am to 9pm Monday to Friday; 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday)

For men using controlling behaviour. 

MensLine Australia Support for Australian men, anytime, anywhere, if you have family and relationship concerns. 
Ph: 1300 78 99 78 

Each Child and Family Information, Referral and Support Team (Child FIRST) team provides a central referral point to a range of community-based family services and other supports within specific areas. 

Cardinia Shire ph: 9705 3939

Child Protection To assist children and young people at risk of harm or where families are unable or unwilling to protect them.
Ph: 1300 655 795 (South Division intake, which includes Cardinia Shire) 
(5pm to 9am Monday to Friday, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays)
Kids Helpline  1800 55 1800

Other resources

Finding Food in Casey, Cardinia and Greater Dandenong

The link above takes you to an information booklet that covers: 

  • alternatives to shopping at the supermarket
  • emergency food relief
  • growing your own food
  • what to do with excess food. 

Physical activity is a proven way to reduce the effects of stress. Look for online content that could help you exercise, do yoga or learn a new healthy pastime.
Dust off your home exercise equipment, and use the downtime to improve your fitness!

Get Active South East 

Follow the new Get Active South East Facebook page for simple and fun ideas to help you staying active in our local area. 

Get Active Victoria 

Find free, enjoyable ways to get active on Get Active Victoria

This new initiative by the Victorian Government includes:

  • free workout videos
  • challenges
  • and ideas to get moving at home. 


  • You can leave your home during an emergency or if your home is unsafe.  
  • If a power outage impacts your health or safety, or the health or safety of someone you live with, you can travel to a friend or family member’s house.  
  • If you require power for life support or a ventilator you can travel to a friend or family member’s house who has power.  
  • f you have been impacted by power outages and need relief support, contact your power distribution company. 

DHHS - Emergencies and COVID-19 

The link above takes you to information including: 

  • can I leave my home during an emergency? 
  • can I stay with family and friends if my power is out? 
  • My home has been imapcted by storm damage. Can I get a tradesperson for repairs? 

Free COVID-19 support line for seniors

Senior Australians, their families and carers can now call a dedicated free call support line aimed at supporting the mental health of those impacted by the spread of COVID-19.

Ph: 1800 171 866

Visiting aged care facilities

DHHS - Visiting aged care facilities

The link will take you to information on: 

  • Current restrictions
  • Which types of care facilities are covered by this restriction?
  • Who can visit people in care facilities?
  • Is there limits on visits?
  • Do I need to call the facility before I visit someone?
  • What other conditions apply?

Advice for older people and seniors from the Victorian Government 

DHHS - Information for older people and seniors

The link above will take you to information on topics including: 

  • staying safe
  • keeping well
  • staying connected
  • getting support at home
  • support for carers

Advice for older people from the Australian Government 

Department of Health - Advice for older people

The link will take you to information on: 

  • people most at risk
  • protecting yourself
  • symptoms
  • medical appointments and medicines
  • assistance with food and meals
  • wellbeing support

My Aged Care website - Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and support for older Australians 

The link will take you to information including:

  • Where do I find the most up-to-date information?
  • Where do I find specific advice for older people?
  • Why is this virus so dangerous for older people?
  • I'm in lockdown in Victoria. What support can I get?
  • Can I get help with food and shopping?
  • Can I still have contact with friends and family?
  • I’m feeling lonely and/or worried, what can I do?
  • I need help using technology or the computer – can I get support?

Community Visitors Scheme 

Through the Community Visitors Scheme, anyone receiving government-subsidised residential aged care or Home Care Packages can get visits, phone calls or video meets with volunteers, for friendship and companionship.

To refer someone or yourself to the CVS, or to become a volunteer contact the Victorian provider: Southern Migrant and Refugee Centre (SMRC)

If you have a My Aged Care Plan


  • The services you currently receive through your Home Care Package will continue.
  • However, there may be some changes to the way service is delivered. Home care staff may change the way that personal care is done.
  • You can make changes to your plan, such as arranging help to go to the shops or arranging your carer to shop on your behalf.
  • If you would like to make changes to your services because of the COVID-19 pandemic, contact your provider.
  • In emergency situations, if you have fully allocated your Home Care Package, you may access short term home support services like nursing, personal care and meals. Speak with your home care provider about this.

Food and meals

  • Providers for food and meals, such as Meals on Wheels, can help you with access to regular food supplies and prepared meals.
  • You can also arrange this directly with your provider.
  • The department of health are working with grocery suppliers on priority access to their online and telephone shopping for older and vulnerable people including if you are registered with My Aged Care.

More information 

  • Contact your provider
  • Visit the My Aged Care website
  • Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422

If you don't have a My Aged Care Plan

  • Older Australians can access short term home support services in an emergency without having had an aged care assessment.
  • If you are in urgent need of support My Aged Care can refer you directly to services in your local area.
  • Assessments can also be conducted using telehealth rather than face-to-face.

Support with accessing food

For information see Help with accessing food

Dementia patients 

The Dementia Australia website has help sheets to help you during COVID-19, including: 

  • tips for people living with dementia 
  • tips for carers, families and friends of people living with dementia 
  • tips for residential care providers 
  • tips for home care providers 

Dementia Australia website – Help sheets

National Dementia Helpline1800 100 500

COVID-19 advice from Department of Education and Training

Department of Education and Training – COVID-19 advice

The link above will take you to information including: 

  • Use of face masks
  • Advice in your language
  • Talking to your child about COVID-19
  • Management of COVID-19 in schools
  • Advice on traineeships and apprentices

Fun at home website 

The Victorian Government's Fun at Home website has lots of excellent learning activities for children. Most are tasks that kids can work through by themselves, and they can be adapted to suit all ages.

Fun at home website

Helping children to cope with the COVID-19 situation 

Disability information

Local support 

Latrobe Community Health Service is available to support anyone with disability in our local community. 

Ph: 1800 242 696

Disability Information Helpline

  • Provides information and referrals for people with disability who need help because of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
  • Can help families, carers and support workers, too.
  • Free, private and fact-checked.

Open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am to 7pm. Closed on national public holidays. 

1800 643 787

National Relay Service  

If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service.

133 677

From the Australian Government 

COVID-19 information for people with disability and their supporters

This link to the Department of Social Services website will take you to information including: 

From the Victorian Government 

DHHS - Information for people with disability - COVID-19

This link takes you to information including: 


NDIS COVID-19 information and support

This link takes you to information including: 

Contacting the NDIS 

Call 1800 800 110, Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm (local time). Select option 5 for plan enquiries related to COVID-19.

  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and people living in remote communities are at greater risk from COVID-19.
  • Aboriginal peak organisations and leadership are working closely with state, local and federal governments to coordinate response plans and ensure they have the necessary resources, equipment, supplies and support for the Aboriginal community. 

Australian Government - Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and remote communities
DHHS - Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for Aboriginal communities

This new directory has information about services available to young people in Cardinia Shire during COVID-19, as well as links to useful information. 

View the directory

  • Red Cross can provide you with a daily telephone call to check on your wellbeing through the Telecross service.
  • This provides peace of mind if you are at risk of an accident or illness that may go unnoticed, such as falling and being unable to call for help.
  • The volunteer will check to see that you are well and provide a friendly voice to wake up to each morning.

Find out more about the Telecross service 

Casey Cardinia Libraries is offering some new services during COVID-19 restrictions, and always has a great range of online resources. 

Casey Cardinia Libraries

This link will take you to information on: 

To report a suspected breach of public health restrictions, such as:

  • isolation
  • mass gathering
  • business breaches

contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or report online

Unfortunately, scammers are taking advantage of the spread of Coronavirus to exploit and play on the fears of Australian consumers. 

Scammers are doing things such as falsely selling Coronavirus-related products online, and using fake emails or text messages to try and get personal data.

Other scams include phishing emails and phone calls impersonating the World Health Organisation, government authorities, and legitimate businesses – including travel agents and telecommunications companies.

You can report these scams and find information on where to get help on the Scamwatch website

  • If you are interested in volunteering to help community organisations respond to COVID-19, you can register your skills at the We Volunteer platform.
  • After registering, you can search for roles that meet your interests. Many roles can be performed from home.
  • The platform was created by the Victorian Government to strengthen the supply of eager, skilled volunteers in local communities and support recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.

We Volunteer

Victoria Together is an online initiative to showcase some of the best music, entertainment, nature and art that Victoria has to offer. 

To help keep Victorians connected – and help keep our creators creating – the Victorian Government has launched Victoria Together, a new online portal showcasing the best our state has to offer from live music and comedy, to the amazing animals at Melbourne Zoo.

Victoria Together will also be home to a new online series developed with Mushroom Group, State of Music (see video below), which will feature weekly performances from some of our best home-grown talent.

The website includes many categories including:  

Creative industries employed around 260,000 people in Victoria — but the sector has been hit hard by COVID-19 with artists, musicians and other creators losing their livelihoods as a result of the pandemic.

Visit Victoria Together

Having trouble finding the Coronavirus information you need, or understanding something on this page? Please fill in this online form (stating the information you need in the 'issue' field) and a Council officer will contact you. 

If you prefer, call us on 1300 787 624.