Rental accommodation for seniors
- Council owns 10 self-contained units, 5 located in Pakenham and 5 in Cockatoo. The units are modified for wheelchair and disability access.
- There is currently a waiting list for both locations. To be placed on the waiting list please contact the Community Support Facilitator on 1300 787 624
Planning for seniors’ housing
We recognise the need to plan for seniors’ housing throughout Cardinia Shire.
While we do not normally play a direct role in the provision of housing we are keen to see additional seniors’ housing provided to meet the needs of our senior residents.
We therefore encourage and promote:
- development of well-designed and well-located facilities
- provision of accommodation for people of diverse ages and ranges of disabilities or mobility issues
- development of appropriately located and designed accommodation for the aged
- development that supports ageing in place including adaptable housing
- opportunities for retirement living and adaptable housing in townships
- a mix of suitable housing for older people and people with disabilities
- close proximity to care and support services, activity centres, public transport and open space
- retirement and aged care facilities to be 400 metres from an activity centre and transport stop.