Have your say on the draft Social and Affordable Housing Policy
Thank you for your feedback
The consultation period for this policy has now closed.
The final version of the Social and Affordable Housing Policy will be made available on the Cardinia Shire Council website once completed and endorsed.
About the policy
The Social and Affordable Housing Strategy reflects our commitment to ensuring all residents have access to safe, affordable and secure housing which meets their needs.
The strategy outlines a clear need to:
- drive an increase in the supply of affordable housing for very low and low income households and people with special housing needs
- provide a range of dwelling types for different demographics.
Development of the strategy was a key recommendation from a 2016 research paper exploring the nature and extent of homelessness in Cardinia Shire.
Why we need to address this issue
- Access to safe, appropriate and affordable housing is foremost a human right
- The demand for dedicated social and affordable housing for lower income residents in Cardinia Shire is much higher than what is available.
- Council recognises housing as a key policy domain in the Liveability Plan 2017-2029
- Homelessness is a hidden and significant issue in Cardinia Shire, which has a particularly significant impact on women, single people, sole parent families, younger and older residents, people with mental health issues and people with a disability.
- The private market is not delivering housing options for everyone. There is a lack of smaller houses affordable for single and couple households, and a lack of appropriate housing for people with special needs.