Puffing Billy Lakeside Visitor Centre construction at Emerald Lake Park
Possible service changes due to COVID-19 restrictions
The new Puffing Billy Lakeside Visitor Centre is being built at Emerald Lake Park, Emerald. This is an Emerald Tourist Railway Board project.
The $20 million project is being funded by the Victorian Government, Federal Government and Puffing Billy Railway.
- The new centre will be the new central hub for Puffing Billy. It will greatly enhance the Puffing Billy experience for visitors to the popular tourist attraction.
- It’s also an important step in opening up the Lakeside to Gembrook section of the train line for use all year round.
More info: Puffing Billy website
Where the centre will be located in the park
The new centre will be located along the railway line near the existing Puffing Billy Station.
When the works will start and finish
Works started in November 2019 and will be completed in late 2021. There have been some delays due to COVID-19 restrictions. For the most up-to-date information visit the Puffing Billy website
Features of the new Puffing Billy Lakeside Visitor Centre
- Function spaces
- Upgraded toilet facilities
- Food and beverage options
- Interpretation spaces for school groups and families.
Changes due to Puffing Billy Lakeside Visitor Centre construction works
Car parking and pedestrian access in this area will be limited or disrupted until car park works are completed in late 2021.
Lakeside car park is open
To get to this carpark, continue past the fork in the main entry road and follow the road to the right, alongside the lake.
- Buses can use this car park.
- The Messmate shelter has been removed as part of the works. It will be replaced in another area of the park.
- The Lion’s Den shelter will be removed in July 2021. It will be replaced in another area of the park.
- The public toilets next to the Lion's Den shelter will be removed in July 2021 as part of the works.