Puffing Billy Discovery Centre construction at Emerald Lake Park
Important information: Changes to services and facilities at Emerald Lake Park
The new Puffing Billy Discovery Centre is being built at Emerald Lake Park, Emerald. This is an Emerald Tourist Railway Board project.
The $20 million project is being funded by the Victorian Government, Federal Government and Puffing Billy Railway.
- The new centre will be the new central hub for Puffing Billy. It will greatly enhance the Puffing Billy experience for visitors to the popular tourist attraction.
- It’s also an important step in opening up the Lakeside to Gembrook section of the train line for use all year round.
More info: Puffing Billy website
Where the centre will be located in the park
The new centre will be located along the railway line near the existing Puffing Billy Station.
When the works will start and finish
Works started in November 2019 and will be completed in 2021. There have been some delays due to COVID-19 restrictions. For the most up-to-date information visit the Puffing Billy website
Features of the new Puffing Billy Discovery Centre
- Function spaces
- Upgraded toilet facilities
- Food and beverage options
- Interpretation spaces for school groups and families.
Changes due to Puffing Billy Discovery Centre construction works
To get to this car park, you would usually drive along the entry road and turn left at the fork in the road, then follow the road to Puffing Billy Station.
- The car park on the Puffing Billy Station side of Emerald Lake Park is currently closed as part of the discovery centre works. Works on this car park are due to be completed by July 2020. The lakeside car park is still open.
Lakeside car park is open
To get to this carpark, continue past the fork in the main entry road and follow the road to the right, alongside the lake.
- Buses can use this car park as a drop-off and pick-up point. Bus drivers can park at Pepi's Land while waiting for passengers to return. They are not permitted to wait in the Emerald Lake Park car parks.
- The Messmate shelter has been removed as part of the works. It will be replaced in another area of the park.
- The Lion’s Den shelter will be removed soon and is no longer available to use. It will be replaced in another part of the park.
The public toilets next to the Lion’s Den shelter are closed and will be removed as part of car park upgrades. New toilets will be built in another part of the park later in the project.