Apply for a major equipment grant

Major equipment grants of up to $20,000 are available to help recreation reserve committees of management purchase equipment to maintain playing surfaces, without the need to engage contractors.


Members of a Recreation Reserve Committee of Management interested in applying for this grants round are encouraged to attend an information session.

These sessions will provide you with information on grant eligibility, grant conditions, processes and timelines.

Details for information sessions

Evening session: Tuesday 30 October 2018 at 7pm

Morning Session: Thursday 1 November2018 at 10am

Venue: Cardinia Shire Council Civic Centre

Bookings: To register for a session go to the the Trybooking website

Only Recreation Reserve Committees of Management are eligible to apply for the major equipment grant.

Applications must be consistent with agreed reserve maintenance schedules.

All major equipment will be funded on a matched funding basis: $1 from Council and $1 from the applicant to a maximum grant of $20,000.

The applicant’s contribution may include funds sourced from other organisations or non-Cardinia Shire Council grant programs.

  • Parts required to maintain existing equipment, for example tractor tyres and tools.
  • Chainsaws (for safety reasons).

Committees of Management who apply will need to:

  • provide details about the equipment they are hoping to buy
  • demonstrate how this equipment will be used to maintain playing surfaces and surrounds at the reserve
  • demonstrate that they have financial capacity to purchase the equipment.

Download Major Equipment Grant guidelines

All applications will be assessed against the following principles:

Priority 1: Demonstrated need for major equipment.

Priority 2: Demonstrated need for funding assistance.

Priority 3: Ability to maintain equipment. 

Who makes up the assessment panel

All grant applications are reviewed by:

  • an assessment panel made up of Council staff from different areas of the organisation 
  • senior managers within Council
  • a panel of councillors.

Once the panel reach agreement, the proposed grants are referred to Council for endorsement and formal approval.

Query a grants assessment

If you are an applicant and you wish to query a grants assessment, you can make a written request for the assessment to be clarified. Your request will be considered and you will receive a written response. 

For more information or for help with the grant application process contact our Community Places Officer on 1300 787 624 or