Australia Day Awards eligibility criteria
Individual awards eligibility criteria
Individuals must be:
- an Australian Citizen (when nominations close)
- willing to accept the award.
A nominee for an award should demonstrate that they:
- takes the lead and show leadership
- are a positive role model or mentor
- promote the overall welfare and wellbeing of the community
- participate in and has shown achievements in community activities, academic, sporting, personal, cultural, environment and/or civic responsibility
- have not received the same award in the past 5 years
- have not been a Councillor or member of the Cardinia Shire Australia Day Advisory Committee in the past 2 years.
- Young Citizen of the Year nominees must be under 25 years on 26 January of the year the award is given
- Senior Citizen of the Year nominees must be at least 70 years on 26 January of the year the award is given
Nominations will not be accepted for individuals for service in a position of paid employment and awards will not be granted posthumously.
Winners (over 18 years) must undergo a Victoria Police criminal records check (at Council’s expense).
Community event of the year eligibility criteria
The nominated event must have:
- been hosted within Cardinia Shire in the year immediately before the award is given (for example held in 2017 for the 2018 Australia Day Award)
- been open and accessible to all Cardinia Shire residents
- showcased aspects of the local community
- been managed appropriately
- not have received the award in the past 5 years
The organising group of the event must be:
- not-for-profit and community-focused
- based in Cardinia Shire and service people in Cardinia Shire
- an incorporated body with a public liability insurance policy to adequately cover their event or a Section 86 Committee.
The nomination must address the:
- purpose of the event and the outcomes
- impact of the event on the community
- level of community participation, and ongoing sustainability
- success of staying with budget.
How we assess the nominations
A selection panel made up of community representatives, Council officer(s) and Councillors will assess the nominations.
The decision of the Cardinia Shire Council Australia Day Awards Panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.