Stan Henwood Award
About the award
Nominations for the Stan Henwood Award 2020 are open until Monday 6 April 2020, 4pm.
- This award is presented each year to a person who has made a positive, long-term contribution to the Cardinia Shire community.
- It honours the late Stan Henwood’s lifetime contribution to the township of Tynong, and to the wider community.
- Nominees are invited to the annual Mayor's volunteer reception dinner in May, where the award winner is announced.
You can download the information on this page as a PDF
To be eligible for the Stan Henwood award, nominees must:
- have made a significant contribution to community services in Cardinia Shire for a period of 10 years or more.
- not have held a position as a Cardinia Shire Councillor in the last 4 years.
- not have previously received the award.
How nominations are assessed
Nominations are presented to our Councillors, who select a winner based on a majority vote.
Make a nomination
What to include
Nominations should explain the person’s achievement, background and reasons for the nomination and include any supporting documentation. Include at least 1 other referee to support the nomination.
To nominate, visit the SmartyGrants website and create an account.
Disputing a decision
If you wish to query eligibility or award assessment please send a written request for clarification by post or email:
Community Strengthening Unit
Cardinia Shire Council
PO Box 7
Pakenham VIC 3810
All requests will receive due consideration and a written response will be sent.
Wendy Andrews - the 2019 Stan Henwood Award winner
Wendy Andrews is a valued Pakenham resident who generously gives her time to many community and fundraising events.
Wendy has been a member of the Lakeside Residents Group since 2010 across various roles including Vice President and President. During her time with this group, Wendy has tirelessly coordinated many amazing community events and fundraisers. In recent years, Wendy and the Lakeside Residents Group have also organised the Australia Day community event at Cardinia Cultural Centre.
Wendy’s contributions to the organising committee of the Art Show Pakenham (formally Yakkerboo Art Show) has seen the event go from strength to strength over the last 6 years.
In addition to Wendy’s successes in organising many events and raising money for worthwhile causes, she also thoughtfully makes beautiful memory bears for people who have lost loved ones.
Previous award winners
- 2018 – Eric Bumpstead
- 2017 – Ray Coombs
- 2016 – Ron and Beryl Banbury
- 2015 – Graham Simpson
- 2014 – Colin ‘Col’ Leeson
- 2013 – Norma Jackson
- 2012 – Ron Topp
- 2011 – John Cascone
- 2010 – Bill and Robyn Kuys
- 2009 – Sue Beattie
- 2008 – William (Bob) Robert Farr
- 2007 – Tom Van Den Dungen
- 2006 – Bernie Berne
- 2005 – Robert Porter
About Stan Henwood
Stan was heavily involved with the Tynong Hall Committee, Tynong Recreation Reserve Committee and the Make A Wish Foundation. He was also a life member of the Tynong Tennis Club, the West Gippsland Tennis Association, Tynong Fire Brigade and Tynong Progress Association.
In 1981 and 1990 he was recognised as the Cardinia Shire Citizen of the Year, as well as receiving a Citation for all Community Achievements.
Beyond Cardinia Shire’s borders, he received a Medal from the Prime Minister for service to sport and an Order of Australia for Service to the Community.
It is this commitment to volunteering across a diverse range of organisations and indeed during most of his life that made Stan a standout member of our community.