Possible service delays

Please note that due to the current impacts of staff illnesses in some areas of our business, it may take longer for us to respond to some requests and you may experience longer-than-usual wait times. We apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding. You can click this link to report an issue online. >

Apply for a weed control grant

Applications are now closed for the Weed Control Grants Program for 2021–22. The 2022–23 Weed Grant Program will open on 1 July 2022.

Weed control grants are available to help landowners and community groups control noxious and environmental weeds on private property, both in agricultural areas and areas of high environmental value.

Cardinia shire uses the online platform SmartyGrants to manage the Weed Control Grant Program, and no longer accepts paper applications.

Funding is available for the following categories of approved weed control works:

  • Purchasing herbicide.
  • Disposing of weed material, i.e. tip passes or skip hire.
  • Hiring of equipment, for example sprayers, mulchers etc.
  • Hiring contractors - please refer to conditions below.

Receipts that are submitted for reimbursement must be dated in this current financial year. If your receipts do not meet the criteria no refund will be given. 

You will be notified by email of the outcome within 2 weeks of submitting your application. Receipts and progress report/payment request forms must be submitted via SmartyGrants in order to be reimbursed by Council.

We will do a random audit of properties to ensure compliance with the requirements of the grant program.

The grant is available to all landowners (maximum amount $350 inc. GST) and community groups (maximum amount $750 inc. GST). For example, it is available to Landcare and 'Friends' groups, progress associations and sporting clubs in Cardinia Shire.

We will also consider larger community and neighbourhood projects clearly demonstrating a greater need for funding. e.g. neighbours working together to control weeds collectively

Preference will be given to landholders who meet the following selection criteria:

  • the landholder will be working with neighbours or community groups (such as Landcare) to control weeds on a larger scale including roadsides.
  • the landholder wishes to control significant weeds in areas of high biodiversity value such as  bushland.

Only one grant is available per landowner (even if you own several properties).

Properties that are primary producers are also eligible to apply for this grant.

Use of chemicals

  • Always consider natural or chemical-free options first, for example - grazing animals.
  • The chemical must be registered for use to control the targeted weed.
  • The chemical must be used at the application rate and in the prescribed manner as directed on the chemical label.
  • To ensure safe and efficient use, the chemical should be applied in accordance with the Code of Good Practice for Farm Chemical Spray Application.
  • Always refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet prior to using chemicals.
  • All safety precautions should be taken, including the wearing of protective clothing, appropriate storage and disposal of the chemical and ensuring there is no off-target damage.
  • Choose the chemical that will do the job, be the least toxic to the operator, and most beneficial to insects, including bees, and the environment.
  • Some chemicals are classified ‘restricted use’ (e.g. Grazon, Garlon) and legally require the person applying the chemical to have an Agricultural Chemical Users Permit (certificate).

Hiring a contractor

  • Landowners can undertake the weed control themselves or they can employ a licensed contractor; however a maximum of 50% of the cost of the contractor’s labour will be met by Council in all cases except where there are special circumstances, which may entitle individuals to a full refund up to a maximum of $350.
  • Special circumstances include holders of a Disability Card, Health Care Card or other benefit or entitlement card such as the pension. Please provide a copy of the relevant card with your application form.

Applications for the 2021–2 grants program open are now closed.


Contact our Biodiversity Officer on 1300 787 624

Was this page useful?