Have your say on burning off regulations in Cardinia Shire
- We invite residents, community groups, stakeholders, agencies and surrounding councils to provide feedback on Council’s current Open Air Burning Policy (2016) and associated Local Law 17, Part 5A.
- An open air burn is a small fire lit and managed by the property owner to dispose of dry vegetation on their property for the purpose of bushfire fuel reduction.
- You can give feedback by completing an online survey, coming to a drop-in session or submitting written feedback.
- Feedback closes on Friday 22 November 2019, 5pm.
Topics you may wish to provide feedback on
You may wish to provide feedback on topics including, but not limited to:
- days allowed to burn
- size of land
- dimensions of fire
Broader fuel management and fire prevention across public and private land will not form part of this consultation.
Other areas within the Local Law are also excluded from this review.
Aims of this consultation
- To ensure that open air burning is carried out safely, and minimises the risk of bushfire in Cardinia Shire in a safe manner, where alternative methods of disposing of green waste may not be possible.
- To identify additional opportunities to educate the community about the importance of following the burning off regulations under the local law,
- To let the the community know about existing services available to them to reduce fuel on their property.
Closing date for feedback
5pm, Friday 22 November 2019.
Give your feedback online
Give your feedback at a drop-in session
Community consultation sessions will be held on:
Sunday 27 October 2019
10am to 12 noon
Upper Beaconsfield CFA Open Day, Beaconsfield-Emerald Road, Upper Beaconsfield
Wednesday 30 October 2019
10am to 12 noon
Corner of Main Street and Station Street, Gembrook
Friday 1 November 2019
3pm to 4pm
Outside Nar Nar Goon Primary School, Nar Nar Goon
Monday 4 November 2019
12pm to 2pm
Outside IGA 32 Westernport Road, Lang Lang
Sunday 17 November
10am to 4pm
Music on the Grass Festival
Koo Wee Rup Community Gardens
Rossiter Road, Koo Wee Rup
Tuesday 19 November
11am to 12 noon
‘Cuppa with a Cop’ event
Koolangarra Reserve, Bunyip
Other ways to give your feedback
Deliver your written feedback to us in one of the following ways:
Review of Open Air Burning Policy and associated law
Cardinia Shire Council
PO Box 7
Pakenham VIC 3810
Drop it to us
Customer Service Centre
20 Siding Avenue, Officer. (View our location in Google Maps).
- Following the review, the associated local law may be updated to meet community expectations and Council’s approach to reduction of fuel across the shire.
- Any change to the local law or policy will also seek to balance Council’s need for fuel reduction and fire prevention with community amenity, environmental benefits and broader public health interests.