Aboriginal and CALD Sports Assistance Program
Application opening date
Applications for the 2020-21 program are now open.
About the new Aboriginal and CALD Sports Assistance Program
- The Aboriginal and CALD Sports Assistance Program provides financial support so young people from Aboriginal and CALD communities who live in Cardinia Shire can join and take part in a sporting club.
- Young people from these communities who cannot afford to start or continue taking part in sport can apply to get financial assistance through this program.
Sport is important as it helps people feel included and improves wellbeing and physical health.
Yet research shows that for Aboriginal and CALD community members, not being able to afford to take part in sport is one of the main things that stop them participating in sporting clubs. This has also been identified as an issue for sporting clubs wanting to attract other diverse communities to join their club.
Providing financial assistance to help more members of the Aboriginal and CALD communities participate in sport aligns with our Liveability Plan. This program will help to:
- improve mental health and wellbeing
- improve social cohesion
- help to reduce obesity through physical activity.
We will pay 50% of the sporting club membership fee, up to a maximum of $250 every year for each participant.
There will be a winter season fund round and a Summer season funding round.
Individuals are only able to apply once per calendar year. Those sports that are conducted year round, the participant can only apply once per calendar year.
Eligibility criteria - can I apply?
To be eligible to apply for the Sports Assistance Program you must:
- be between 5 and 18 years old
- be from an Aboriginal or Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) background
- live in Cardinia Shire (as their primary place of residence)
- not currently be participating in a sporting club, or have financial barriers to ongoing participation
- identify an eligible sporting club in Cardinia Shire to join
- get a teacher, community leader or social worker’s endorsement in their application for their need for financial assistance via this program.
- Individuals are only able to apply once per calendar year. Those sports that are conducted year round, the participant can only apply once per calendar year.
Clubs of choice
The clubs listed have become a Club of Choice under the Aboriginal and CALD Sport Assistance program Club eligibility. This means that these clubs have actively signed up to be a part of the program and have undergone inclusion and diversity training and are working towards a more welcoming and inclusive club. If you wish to join a club which is not listed as a Club of Choice, Cardinia Shire Council will work with this club to support them in becoming a Club of Choice to support your participation.
- Bunyip Tennis Club
- Bunyip & District Soccer Club
- Deep Creek Golf Club
- Garfield Football Club
- Officer Tennis Club
Officer City Soccer Club
Pakenham United Soccer Club
Upper Beaconsfield Cricket Club
Tribes Basketball Club
Applications for the Winter season close 30 April or until funding allocation exhausted. Applications for Summer season will open August 2021.
Applications must be signed by a parent or carer.
Aboriginal and CALD sports assistance program guidelines