Apply for a travel exemption to prepare your property for the fire season

  • Under current Victorian Government COVID-19 Chief Health Officer (CHO) directions, travel restrictions within parts of Victoria still apply. However, properties in high bushfire risk areas will still need to be prepared for the fire season.
  • So this important preparation can take place, owners of properties in Cardinia Shire located within a Bushfire Management Overlay or other hazard overlay can now apply for a travel exemption letter from Council. If you can’t attend, you can nominate a representative to do the works. To apply for a travel exemption, use the online form on this page.
  • Travel under this scheme can take place from Monday 11 October until the Victorian Government advises that the scheme is no longer required.

These include but are not limited to:

  • cutting grass
  • removing vegetation
  • slashing
  • clearing gutters
  • removing items from around dwellings and out-buildings.
  1. The property is partially or wholly situated in the Bushfire Management Overlay or other hazard overlay.
  2.  Council declares that fire season preparation work needs to be done at the property.
  • The owner of the property as stated in Council’s rates records. If several owners want to travel to the property for fire season preparation, they can only do this if they live in the same household.
  • A nominated representative such as a local service provider can be put forward by the property owner if the owner can’t attend the property. The representative/s can be anyone who the property owner nominates to conduct fire season preparation works on their behalf.
  • In most cases, owners have a maximum of 72 hours from the time they leave their primary residence to the time they return.
  • At Council’s discretion, property owners that need to travel long distances will be allowed an additional 24 hours.

Please apply via this online form.

Contact the Emergency Management team on 1300 787 624 or

Was this page useful?