Comely Banks Recreation Reserve, Officer
- 125 Bridge Road, Officer
- Project description
Comely Banks Recreation Reserve is a regional sporting hub being built next to the new Bridgewood Primary School and early years centre in Bridge Road, Officer.
The reserve will provide a home for existing and future sports that use rectangular pitches including touch rugby and rugby league, as well as for cricket and lawn bowls.
The Department of Education and Cardinia Shire Council developed the reserve’s joint master plan to cater for the needs of the school as well as the future needs of the growing local community. The precinct will be developed in line with this master plan.
The reserve’s car parking areas and access roads have been designed to support school drop-off and pick-up traffic and bus transport.
Once fully developed, the reserve will have:
• 4 rectangular pitches (incorporating 2 sports ovals)
• cricket practice nets
• 2 bowling greens
• a community and sports pavilion
• car parking area.
The pavilion is the first stage of the reserve’s planned development. Now being constructed, it will be available for sporting clubs, user groups and the wider community to use. The pavilion will feature:
• a social and community space
• unisex change rooms for players and umpires
• covered spectator areas
• accessible toilets inside and outside the building.
- The $7.588 million pavilion project is jointly funded by Council ($4.088 million) and the Victorian Government’s Growing Suburbs Fund ($3.5 million).
- Progress update
The pavilion is now being built and is due to be completed in October 2020.
Works on the reserve and sporting areas is planned to start in 2020–21.
- Benefits for the community
The reserve will meet the needs of players and spectators of sports that use rectangular pitches and are growing in popularity, including touch rugby and rugby league, as well as cricket and lawn bowls.
The multipurpose, shared use pavilion will meet the needs of sporting clubs, community groups and the wider community.
Located near the Princes Highway in Officer and surrounded by rapidly growing residential areas, this development will help serve the sport and recreation needs of Cardinia Shire residents into the future.
- Community consultation
- Council has worked closely with relevant local sports clubs, state sporting associations and Victorian Government departments during planning for the overall reserve and pavilion design.
- Photos, plans, maps and drawings
- March 2020