Hills Hub, Emerald
- Emerald Library and Mechanics Hall precinct at 400A Belgrave-Gembrook Road, Emerald.
- Project description
A major new community services hub is being developed in the Emerald Library and Mechanics Hall precinct, on the corner of Belgrave-Gembrook and Beaconsfield-Emerald roads.
The existing hall will be demolished and a new building constructed in the space now occupied by the Men’s Shed and U3A buildings.
- The $6.63 million project is being funded by Council ($4.88 million), the Australian Government's National Stronger Regions Fund ($1.5 million), and the Eastern Dandenong Ranges Group and Dandenong Ranges Community Bank Group ($250,000). Council has also submitted an application for additional grant support under the Victorian Government's Growing Suburbs Fund.
- Progress update
- Tenders for construction have been received and are currently being evaluated. It is anticipated that construction will commence in early 2018 and completion of the project will occur in mid 2019.
- Benefits for the community
It will bring a range of existing community services and organisations under one roof.
The new hub will also provide additional multipurpose meeting and activity spaces for the Hills community.
- Working with the community
The Hills Hub has been a project three years in the making and is being developed in close consultation with the local community.
Council and the community established the Hills Hub Advisory Committee to ensure the hub will reflect the community’s needs. This Advisory Group consists of a wide range of stakeholders including, but not limited to: Emerald Mechanic’s Institute, Emerald Men’s Shed, Emerald University of the Third Age (U3A), 3MDR (Mountain District Radio), the Eastern Dandenong Ranges Group made up of a wide range of community organisations auspiced by the Bendigo Bank, who have committed funding from the community sector, the Emerald Village Committee, Worrell Reserve Committee, Emerald Toy Library, representatives from the Lions, and Rotary clubs as well as many general community members.
This group met on a monthly basis from February 2015 and commenced the first phase of the design process, and the preferred design concept was endorsed by the community after extensive engagement and consultation.
- Final design artwork
- Plans, maps and drawings
Hills Hub, Emerald design concept showing community endorsed bus shelter for Hills Hub, Emerald.
Hills Hub, Emerald design concept showing community endorsed Library forecourt, reading garden.
Hills Hub, Emerald design concept showing community endorsed Main entry.
Hills Hub, Emerald design concept showing community endorsed Multi purpose room terrace.