Burning off in Cardinia Shire

As of 1 July 2016, new burning-off areas and conditions apply.

These changes came into effect when Council's revised Open Air Burning Policy was adopted. Local Law 17 contains the requirements which must be met.

Alternatives to burning off

Burning off to reduce fuel loads on your property and to get rid of dry weeds, undergrowth, tree clippings and other vegetation should always be a last resort.

Our optional green waste bin service or twice-yearly hard and green waste collections are a much safer and more environmentally-friendly option. Please visit our waste and recycling web page for more information.

Barbeques, pizza ovens and chimineas

Barbeques, pizza ovens and chimineas are permitted to be used where they do not cause an unreasonable nuisance and some basic safety requirements are met. Please see the Local Law 17 web page for more information on barbeques, pizza ovens and chimineas.

Find out if you can burn off

Step 1 - Check if it is a Total Fire Ban or if a Fire Danger Period is in place

Burning off anywhere in Cardinia Shire is strictly prohibited if it is a CFA-declared Total Fire Ban day or during any CFA-declared Fire Danger Period.

Visit the CFA website to find out if it is a Total Fire Ban day or if a Fire Danger Period has been declared within Cardinia Shire.

If it is not a Total Fire Ban day and no Fire Danger Period has been called, go to step 2.

Step 2 - Check if your property is in a ‘Burn off area’

Cardinia Shire is divided into ‘Burn off areas’ and ‘No burn off areas’.

To find out which of these your property is in:

  • Visit our Community Compass and type in your address
  • Click on ‘Burning off’ in the right hand sidebar.

You can also call Council to get this information on 1300 787 624.

You cannot burn off at any time without a Council issued permit if the search shows that your property is in a 'No burn off area'.

If your property is in a 'Burn off area' go to step 3.

Step 3 - Make sure you can meet the following conditions

Burning off in a ‘Burn off area’ is permitted only when all the following conditions can be met:

  • Fires are strictly not allowed on EPA declared SMOG alert days. Visit the Environment Protection Authority’s website to check if a SMOG alert day has been declared or contact Council on 1300 787 624
  • Before you light your fire, you must register your burn off with the CFA so that they don’t get called out to your fire.
  • All fires must be actively supervised by a person 18 years or over who has the means and capability to put the fire out.
  • Fires must only be for genuine fuel reduction purposes and not for commercial or industrial purposes.
  • Only dry vegetation can be burnt (no vegetation that is still green). Hard rubbish, household waste, flammable liquids or commercial or industrial waste is strictly not allowed to be burnt.
  • Fires must not create a hazard beyond the property boundary or reduce visibility on any road.
  • Fires must not be unreasonably offensive or a nuisance to another person – particularly from the smoke which is produced.
  • Fires must be immediately put out when directed by a member of an emergency service or Council officer.

The following conditions must also be met depending on the size of your land:

Conditions Properties less than or equal to 20ha Properties greater than 20ha
Days when fires are permitted Monday, Friday and Saturday All days except Sunday
Amount of fires permitted at any one time 1 3
Minimum distance required from the edge of the fire to any buildings 10 metres 30 metres
Minimum fire break size (an area clear of combustible materials around the fire) 3 metres 6 metres
Maximum size of fire (the size of the amount of material) 2 metres in any dimension 4 metres in any dimension

Permits to burn off

If your property is in a ‘No burn off area’ or you can’t meet any of the relevant conditions in a ‘Burn off area’ you will need a Council-issued permit to burn off.

You can request this permit by using this online request form and a Council staff member will contact you to get information on your request, or you can call 1300 787 624 to arrange over the phone. The permit is free of charge.

Report an illegal burn off

If life or property is in danger from fire please call 000.

If you believe that there is a fire which is not in accordance with the information on this page or within Local Law 17 then please call us on 1300 787 624 so that we can investigate.

Powered by